My neighbors central air
Yesterday my 76 year old neighbor called to tell me that her A/C has been running all day but was not cooling.  I checked it and  found the correct voltage at the motor contactor and going to the Capacitor.  I did check the capacitor but could not get a reading off of it so I replaced it.  Well, that didn't solve the problem.  I advised her to call a professional but I would like to fix this myself as she claims she has no money.  It is a Goodman unit that was installed in 1999 when her son burned down the house to get back at the father.

Now, let me vent for a moment.....She always seems to have money to spend but claims he doesn't.  Her husband was a sniper in Korea so I imagine she gets benefits from that.  He also owned several businesses including being a gunsmith in his retirement.  I don't like her or her lazy son but I feel obligated to help her out because I really liked her husband.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I mow her lawn for free every week too.)
Regardless of your feeling towards her, her son or her deceased husband, this little project may beyond your expertise. I'm impressed that you were able to diagnose and replace the faulty capacitor. However, you may cause further damage for which she would blame you and expect you to foot the total repair bill. You sound like a terrific guy, but it's time to cut this little lady loose. I suspect, as you do, that she'll find the funds to repair or replace the unit as necessary.
Well if you swapped oit a bad capacitor and the compressor still isnt starting up then its most likely going to be a compressor replacement. 

This is assuming the old one was bad and that the contactors are pulling in AND making contact. The contacts in the relay could be burned and not conducting. Here its very common as fire ants love electricity and will get into the contacts as they like the magnetic field and the ozone created when the contacts arc.
Turn it off. Let it sit for an hour or two. Try it and verify the fan and compressor both are running.
If both do run- turn it off.
1. Low refrigerant or out of refrigerant.
2. Bad metering device.
3. Dirty/clogged indoor or outdoor coil.
4. Clogged indoor filter.
5. Problem with wiring, contactor, connection.
6. Bad valve in compressor- bad compressor winding- not pumping- over amping (tight rotor).
7. Open/stuck IPR (pressure relief).
8. Busted crankshaft- rod- scroll.
9. Plugged drier- crimped refrigerant line- leaking/stuck  4 way valve.

If compressor does not run but fan does;
1. Bad capacitor.
2. Wiring open, burned connection.
3. Compressor- locked rotor- bad winding.
4. Contactor- voltage to unit or compressor.
5. Open/bad IOL (Internal overload).
6. Bad control board or over amping lock out- lockout on pressure at board.

If fan and compressor do not run;
1. No low voltage to contactor.
2. Indoor drain switch.
3. Indoor condensate pump.
4. Contactor.
5. Board lockout (Indoor or outdoor).
6. No 240v.
7. Thermostat.
8. Indoor freeze control (Board controlled via sensors).

Some apply to different models and makes.

If the indoor blower quits, it will cause the indoor coil to ice up. (Could be intermediate).
If the outdoor fan quits, the compressor may overheat and quit on IPR or IOL. (Could be intermediate).

If compressor has failed- find the cause.

That's all I can think of right now.
When I moved to my house 20 years ago I was 49 and my neighbor was 64.  He was struggling with an electric snow blower to clear his walk and driveway.  I came over and cleared his driveway and walk with my 24" wide gas powered snowblower.  

Fast forward 20 years.  My neighbor is 84 and I'm still clearing his driveway and walkway.  

And I'm 69--so who is clearing my driveway?

Sometimes you help people because it just feels right.  person about it here in the forums (like I am now) and continue to help out.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-13-2017, 07:15 AM)Cooler Wrote: When I moved to my house 20 years ago I was 49 and my neighbor was 64.  He was struggling with an electric snow blower to clear his walk and driveway.  I came over and cleared his driveway and walk with my 24" wide gas powered snowblower.  

Fast forward 20 years.  My neighbor is 84 and I'm still clearing his driveway and walkway.  

And I'm 69--so who is clearing my driveway?

Sometimes you help people because it just feels right.  person about it here in the forums (like I am now) and continue to help out.

And now you can't even move. You'd feel guilty leaving him with no help.

Remember karma- your day will come.

Oh, and I forgot; 8. Stuck start assist relay.
Laugh
Cooler, here's hoping you get a nice neighbor moving in next to you that has a 36" snowblower and helps you out. I have to admit, that's a lot easier than fixing an air conditioner.  I feel like I could probably fix an air conditioner under many conditions, but only if it's the end of the world (it would be weird if there was still power then, but bear with me).  Anyway, I always find it pretty easy to say no under those conditions.  "I'd like to help, but I'd probably make it worse" seems to convince people pretty quickly.  OTOH, I'll stop and help people change their car tire any day.  

I got a rental truck stuck in my backyard and got a tow truck to come out.  Then his hydraulic winch wouldn't work.  This is actually something I have a lot of experience troubleshooting, and thought about offering to look at it.  But the driver took a big piece of steel out and whacked the hydraulic motor a batch of times and it started right up.
(06-13-2017, 07:25 AM)daddo Wrote:  And now you can't even move. You'd feel guilty leaving him with no help.

Remember karma- your day will come.

Oh, and I forgot; 8. Stuck start assist relay.
Laugh

My neighbor's son was in the Obama Cabinet (Director of Homeland Security).  The last time he visited (in three cars with 6 armed body guards plus a state trooper and a local cop) he said to me that if he didn't know that his father's car could get his car out in the winter he would have insisted that his father and mother move to an assisted living facility. 

And since I know that he does not want to leave his home I would feel much more guilty if I quit.  

But the big question is:  Why isn't anyone clearing my driveway!!!
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-13-2017, 11:10 AM)Cooler Wrote: My neighbor's son was in the Obama Cabinet (Director of Homeland Security).  The last time he visited (in three cars with 6 armed body guards plus a state trooper and a local cop) he said to me that if he didn't know that his father's car could get his car out in the winter he would have insisted that his father and mother move to an assisted living facility. 

And since I know that he does not want to leave his home I would feel much more guilty if I quit.  

But the big question is:  Why isn't anyone clearing my driveway!!!

I'm sure karma is paying you back, just in other ways.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(06-13-2017, 09:59 AM)EricU Wrote:   But the driver took a big piece of steel out and whacked the hydraulic motor a batch of times and it started right up.

That reminds me, back in the 70's we had a "hotsy" (sp) at work for washing window a/c's.  It was a pressure washer that used hot water heated by a roaring kerosene flame around a steel water pipe and a pump.

We had a lot of trouble with it, and one day the pump wouldn't start. A co-worker walking by said; "Get a hammer"- a term we always used in jest.

He went over to his truck and came back with a hammer. I figured I was going to learn something and he would tap on something to get it going, but instead he proceeded with uncontrollable rage to beat the living &^% out the machine until it was a pile of scrap.    
Eek
Eek 
Eek

I slipped out the back.