Design - Buster Steps
Somebody, likely, every wood worker, mentioned 'do the best you can, like it will be used a thousand years....' I believe this fake quote is an aggregate of several reading memories. It's a nice thought. Inspirational. Utterly, crock! Some things need to be banished and many are mine; but most are bespoke compressed rice hulls and sawdust furniture. 

This design installment has to do with temporary furniture, because I am not going to let it sit around waiting for the next invalid. Nor, give it away. And, if I can salvage something of it, I will. So, I don't attempt to make temporary furniture permanent. If I can help it. However, this furniture is for Buster. Buster is an obese 15 pound monster that defies all reasonable expectations. I am afraid he will torment us with his presence for another several years. BTW, endearments are such that Buster does not really know his own Christian name. Being named after an old shoe is reason enough to forget. 

[Image: IMG_2710_zpst93neu48.jpg]]The Monster[/url] Cataract fog looks almost as bad as red-eye, pumpkins in this case. 

PhotoBucket is no longer....

Guess who.....??? Worse than a cat with 9 lives....

This installment is almost a construction article. Construction articles (in magazines) are all the same, follow the same formula. So don't think this will be one too.

A while back we noticed Walking T**d was leaping short of the 2-ft mattress height. Bouncing off the side of a mattress is entertaining until the vet bill lands on the checkout counter. A few bucks and smashed fingers are cheap insurance. So, steps.

These steps--there are two--are of commercial pine, 1 x 12 by a little over 12 feet. I need 20 feet. The finished size is 30"W x 20"H x 13"D. No fancy joints. Just butts, glue and exterior finish nails. [To make salvage easier.] After some fancy CAD design, the back is ripped/cut on bias from a 4-foot section, the cutoff swung back, edge glued, everything diced and cleaned up. If you want the plan, wait for the construction article. The rest of the pieces (11) are glued to the back "in the air". Or, as someone told me in another life, "by coincident alignment". I probably should not have used slippery glue. Clamp-and-nail works, too. Better yet, strategically placed dadoes and rabbets at the tread nosing, ignoring salvage, is the way to go. Steps are 5"Riser:7"Tread. These numbers vary for the bed and pet height, and why I won't release the backboard plan.

Design- We've beaten permanence. No, we can't beat a dog who protects the house from under a bed. Dog stairs get pretty elaborate. We even had one of those kits from the charity used store, that had lost and was losing parts. Bespoke sawdust. I did a lot of dimensions in CAD. I failed to actually twist arms, clamps and the occasional piece of wood with its time clock of dripping glue during the CAD phase. Thus, in the air wizardry. I was really lucky the first time. Not so good on steps 2, which I thought would be a piece of cake.

The steps are as compact as I can make them, and not turn them into some elaborate obnoxious sprawl on a warehouse floor. The inspiration was Japanese tansu, in stairs. Then it was a matter of fine tuning the design, and cutting and fitting pieces from 4-foot lengths of wood. The cutting plan included four lengths of 4-feet, but three would work if the bumper board (bottom cap piece) came from another scrap. And, I didn't screw up. Home Despot had 3x5 edged carpet in an acceptable color. Two-inch double back carpet tape at all edges and corners does pretty well to keep down the carpet. Pounding the carpet into and over corners to crease the backing is important. I finished all surfaces of the wood with polyurethane (satin clear). 

I used a combination of frustrations while finishing the first set of steps. The most irritating was building first, then stuffing my face into cavities with a paint brush, rag, sandpaper, and finally, finger nails to remove stuck bugs and debris. For the second set, I used a Badger model sprayer to lay down Transtint dye instead of mixing it with shellac and making a mess. Pre-spraying dye and wiping/painting several coats of poly worked well enough but I had cut all the parts to spare my saw blade. Next time everything will be finished then cut. The blade can suffer. 

[Image: IMG_2697_zpsyvbxx20l.jpg]

Goodbye, Photobucket....

Finally, be sure to use a story-stick when doing take-offs for copy work. An eighth-inch short is firewood. Then, the  pre-finish work is suspect. I even forgot one of the eleven pieces. I blame finish fumes and first of summer heat for the errors. Next time? Nah...

After 14 years of persuasion and bribes, I knew a hand full of peanuts would get Buster up the steps. 

[Image: IMG_2711_zpsmcpfnu9i.jpg]
Nice; fancy, even. Amazing how much energy we who are captives of (captivated by) our animals will put in to make their lives easier.

To respond to your opening philosophical statements: we had a friend some years back who used to say, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing badly!"  I was startled the first time I heard Fran say this, but she was right about certain types of projects.  There are times (say, when you're trying to raise five children, as Fran and Jo were) when you have to just get the job done, and pretty's not high on the design list.

I try to decide, as I start a job, whether our sons will fight over it or whether it will be compost by the time they're cleaning up the house after us; and apply the classic aphorism ("...worth doing well") or Fran's, depending.
Yeah, Bill. This particular creature, the third dog in our marriage, is unique. As mentioned, I knew the stinker would injure itself and cost $$$$ if we didn't actively avoid its getting into strenuous activity. There is no prayer I can perform to turn costly injury repair, even at such advanced age, into a quick and cheaper alternative. After all this protectionism, my wife and I both groaned when we saw the projected life spans of each of it's parental parts; 18 and longer years. 

It was imperative to have design and construction of this furniture be decent. The bedroom and office are the most used in the house. Our son has little interest in keeping much of the inherited 'dead people' (and our own) stuff we have presented to the house and garage over the years. So, anything made is for personal satisfaction. Even 'heirloom' tools fall into the dumpster, if not Goodwill's hands.

Being a product of DIY Depression era parents is hell. Mine were even too cheap to go to restaurants, favoring 15 cent McDonald's when it first opened.
(06-12-2017, 04:55 PM)hbmcc Wrote: [Image: IMG_2697_zpsyvbxx20l.jpg]

Bruce, this could make an interesting bookcase or cabinet conversion?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I am looking for tool cubbies, to put in the garage. You are too kind Derek. Yes, the open side was intended for 'stuff', but I did finish the back, just in case.

I was hoping someone would be just as critical (read: crass) as me. 

For the modern pet owner, we who treat them like long term 3 or 4 year old children, this prominent feature looks functionally normal. Even if the finish is a close match to the existing room pieces, pet steps are not ordinary furniture. Therefor, they will look odd and ugly. To counter poor style, samples I found included many with mirrored duplication, for design balance; like his and hers Shaker style. Some, like mine, mounted the side for shared position and pillow beside the presumed matriarch. The doubles merely looked volcanic. 

After this lilliputian tansu showed up, I felt a momentary tug for a feline replacement. At least cats can fabricate a nest anywhere. But, we have never found cats accommodating of us; or, predictable.
there is more energy put into dog steps and dog ramps that you can possibly imagine.  There are something like 1800 U.S. patents that include "dog ramp" in the title. Of course, none of them are worth printing out, you can't patent a ramp.  I helped some students design a really nice one, it folded up to about the size of a large laptop computer.  I'm curious if it ever got marketed.  

Our oldest rarely climbs on the bed anymore.  His place on the bed has been taken over by a younger dog. So I don't think I'll be building one of these.  Not sure about a ramp though.
Eric, I'm not sitting here, waiting, then picking on respondents. I happened to swing by before .... wait .... can't shut down, some W10 update.... 

This is the third dog in a line 40 years long. The others were smart enough to give up trying to get onto the beds. He is also the most needy of companionship; more lap dog than the cockers preceding him. Beds were lower for the cockers, too.

Your design sounds great. And, probably correct. If it happened, we would see it at Petsmart. Maybe.
Photo Bucket still tolerates me.... 
Sleep

Maybe, This update will prompt the important info dial.... 
Raised
Perhaps this is what you are referring to: “Make every product better than it’s ever been done before. Make the parts you cannot see as well as the parts you can see. Use only the best materials, even for the most everyday items. Give the same attention to the smallest detail as you do to the largest. Design every item you make to last forever.”

— Shaker Philosophy on Furniture Making
(07-21-2017, 11:37 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Photo Bucket still tolerates me.... 
Sleep
it appears to take some time before they finish processing all the links, so it is inevitable.  Or maybe they stopped breaking them and are having a lot of meetings about the fact that their user base is abandoning them.  I knew they were in trouble when they were trying to keep things going by selling you prints of your photos.  How many people even bother anymore?