Sunnyside Boiled Linseed Oil
Hi all.

I just bought a 5 gal container of Sunnyside BLO.  Upon opening the can I found it had quite an unfamiliar smell.  I've been using BLO for going on 30 years and have always enjoyed the nutty smell.  This stuff smells absolutely nothing like that.  It smells like...maybe cat food.  The materials safety sheet says it contains cobalt magnesium salts, which I understand is the dryer agent.  Anybody ever use this stuff or have any insights as to whether this is an attempt at a low odor BLO?  When I use BLO, my shop tends to smell like BLO for a while afterwards.  Don't know if I can stomach this stuff.

Thanks.

Jim
I have a one gallon can (bought quite some time ago) and it seemed pretty normal to me. Linseed oil is linseed oil, hard to imagine there's a reason to be worried.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The plot thickens. I spoke with a Sunnyside tech on the phone today. He was very nice but had little in the way of explanation. He had me read the batch number and said that it was a very recent batch. I've also sampled linseed oils in the area. I found a gallon container of Sunnyside BLO -- it had the same new smell. Then I found a quart size of Kleen Strip BLO and, to my surprise, it too had the same new smell. So it seems that either they use the same supplier (somewhere in China for Sunnyside) or perhaps the industry has a new way of preparing the stuff. It is supposedly a simple mixture of linseed oil and a metallic dryer. I'd just like to know what it is that has changed the odor. I'm concerned because I'm soaking turned bowls in it and so I've got a huge investment in time.

-Jim