Another use for my Tormek
I was reading the article about chisels in the April, 2017 issue of PopWood and decided to modify an old chisel to minimize the side flats.  Schwarz shows it being done freehand on a high-speed grinder but I wondered if my Tormek could do it in a more controlled fashion and it can.

I used the knife sharpening jig as shown and it did a great job.

[Image: 34838022054_9a2a68a3dd_z.jpg]" />

The chisel is an old Stanley #60 and started out like this one:

[Image: IMG_0699_zpsvcxfdged.jpg]

After cleanup and side grinding it looks like this:
[Image: 34838022384_76e92d8996_z.jpg]
It only took 15 minutes and I'm happy with the result.

Mike
That looks nice.
Excellent! I'm about to tackle this task and already have to tooling. Thanks.
Nice.  This kind of thing makes me think I should be saving up for a Tormek.
You could probably buy full sets of Lee Nielson and Ashley Iles for less than the new Tormek.
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
Fantastic! Think I'll give it I try.
(06-13-2017, 02:23 PM)Arch_E Wrote: You could probably buy full sets of Lee Nielson and Ashley Iles for less than the new Tormek.

The thing about the Tormek is that it hurts like hell to buy it, but it is excellent at what it does. I've not regretted buying it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Me either. Great tool for what it does. Just pricey for grinding side bevels on chisels.
Gotta learn it sometime, so take your time, enjoy, and make sawdust...
Archie
'I posted a very similar method several years ago, but holding the blade with magnets in the Veritas small blade holder. I like the knife holder better.

I used this to modify many chisels.

[Image: Soyouwanttomakeadovetailchisel_html_155bfcea.jpg]

Stanley #750 ...

[Image: Chiselset1.jpg]

[Image: Blades-hollowground1.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Thanks for the comments everyone.  I think a few more chisels from my oldies collection are going to get the Tormek treatment.

Mike