MillersFall #15 plane
We are travelling across Canada ,zigzaging through Ontario and stopped at a small town antique store. A jack plane caught my eye .I don't need another jack ,but some MF planes have split lever cap,this one did and the tote was pretty. We have WiFi at this campsite so I was surprised when I looked up it's  #15,it should have been a #14. It would be a Stanley #5 1/2. With it's hard wood front knob and fancy  tote I would date it around 1949, a transition time plane. MF wide jack has a 2 1/4" iron. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good looking.

In Ottawa , I visited Lee Valley's main store , I had to see it,  but didn't find anything interesting in the clearance bin.
A man of foolish pursuits
The Millers Falls 15 is a bit hard to find.    It is supposed to be  the same as a Stanley #5-1/2.  

Mine range from the #8, #9, #11 ( stanley 5-1/4) and a #14 ( Stanley #5)  Block plane is a 1455 low angle.

This  #9 is from about the same time as your #15...aka Type 4. 

Rather a fancy handle...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Yup, a #15 is the #5 1/2 size.  I've seen 'em, but never found one in the wild.  Its a fine plane, good for you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Congrats.

I will say: I've never figured out what niche the 5-1/2 and its cousins from other makers fits.  There it sits, between the No. 5 and the No. 6, each of which is different enough from the other to fulfill different functions; but the 5-1/2 seems like a tweener.
the #5 1/2 size was Stanley's response to the English "panel plane" and as such has a wider iron, heavier weight and mass.  Shorter than the 6 and 7, it can be profitably used as a panel smoother.  When preparing stock by hand, I scrub, then a #5, then either a 5 1/2 or 6, and if necessary, a 7 (if 6 is the choice, you might not need a 7).  So, if you choose, you can use it to smooth larger stock as well.  I like mine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
two words: heavy camber
Bill:

It's just a personal choice, I was using my 5 1/2 just today, it's my primary plane, after scrubbing and or hogging...

Attached Files Image(s)

-- mos maiorum
They can act as small jointers...

Like when a board  is too short for a #7 or #8
And..

I use this Stanley #5-1/2, type 17 to flatten glued up panels.    No camber.  I have #5 sized ones for use with a camber...

Much lighter to use than a #6c I have....makes a difference when I plane a full afternoon.    The #6 gets a bit heavy, after awhile....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
If I could post pictures,I'll post one that's pretty like yours Bandit. That's what caught my eye. I have a late model Record #05 1/2 . It's a heavy QualCast one. It was poorly made to boot, I had to remachine the frog beds. I can see it being pushed to the back of the shelf. A 2 1/4 " iron might be a better compromise.
A man of foolish pursuits