Boring large diameter holes
(06-16-2017, 05:20 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: My auger bit set only goes up to 1" and I want some 4-6" deep holes approximately 1.5" in diameter. Drilling in cherry fwiw and open to suggestions

I have a very nice Russell Jennings #24 (24 16ths = 1 1/2") 10" auger bit that is capable of drilling the holes you seek. I will ship it to you free of charge if you are willing to pay to ship it back to me when you are done. PM me if interested.
(06-18-2017, 12:40 PM)tshiker Wrote: I have a very nice Russell Jennings #24 (24 16ths = 1 1/2") 10" auger bit that is capable of drilling the holes you seek. I will ship it to you free of charge if you are willing to pay to ship it back to me when you are done. PM me if interested.

Careful! You are at risk of starting a "tool lending debate."

Nice offer, tho!
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(06-18-2017, 05:05 PM)Jim Waldron Wrote: Careful! You are at risk of starting a "tool lending debate."

Nice offer, tho!

Understood! Thanks for the warning tho! Just trying to pay a few things forward. Offer stands.
Thank you tshiker for the generous offer and others for the links. Once I decide which direction I go I will report here.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
As for the elbow grease, this is why 14" and 16" throw braces were made.
A 16" throw brace and #24 bit will make short work of this task.

That's why I have them. Ignore the fact I owned them long before I needed to drill a similar hole.
Laugh
I tried an expansion bit I found in the shop and my small throw brace is definitely inadequate for this task. I see what y'all mean by elbow grease being needed, so I posted a WTB in Swap'n Sell.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
That's a very generous offer!

It wasn't long ago that I needed to hog out a bunch of waste in some cherry, so I chucked my 1 1/4" auger bit in my 14" brace and started boring. One and a half holes later, I decided I was going to let the drill press do the heavy lifting. I do not regret my decision.

If the bit you're using has a fine lead screw and you're using a 16" brace, then this sounds manageable. But it's still going to be a LOT of work. For myself, I think I would have just spent the money on a Forstner bit and used a power drill, either hand-held or in the drill press.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop