For Shame, Woodcraft!
In the August 2017 issue of Popular Woodworking, on page 9, there's an advertisement for their new line of workbenches.  They have a guy using a bevel up jack on the edge of a maple board.  But, he's planing the board against the grain!  Now maybe the bevel is 55-60 deg, but it's bad practice nevertheless.  Must be the marketing / advertising department doesn't include hand tool experts.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Have you traveled forward in time to obtain the August 2017 issue?
(06-17-2017, 01:42 PM)AHill Wrote: Must be the marketing / advertising department doesn't include hand tool experts.

Oh, tell me it ain't so!  Surely the marketing people know what they're selling and how to use their products!

And, Joe: for reasons I've yet to understand, many magazines designate their issues to a date into the future.  The August issue will arrive (as did my copy, too) in late June.  Makes no sense to me, but it's troo.
I can understand that the photographer might have a knowledge gap. But he took direction from a producer, who should have known better. And then there was the picture editor. My guess is that all of the companies are running "lean" and the guys with knowledge have retired. Everyone who signed off on it did so electronically and did not blow the photo up enough to see how accurate it was. It is sad, but I have seen much worse.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Thanks Bill -- that is news to me!
Wink 
Look closer.  That's a WoodRiver plane with Rob Cosman's iron in it...in fact it was sharpened my Rob Cosman; so you can plane against the grain, no problem!
Slap
Speaking of Cosman, how come he looks about 25 in some ads and down-hill, fat and droopy 60 in others?
(06-18-2017, 12:06 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Speaking of Cosman, how come he looks about 25 in some ads and down-hill, fat and droopy 60 in others?

That's what happens to you when you plane against the grain...
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(06-18-2017, 12:06 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Speaking of Cosman, how come he looks about 25 in some ads and down-hill, fat and droopy 60 in others?

I too looked 25 - about 50 years ago, when I was 25. Most folks are too polite to mention the difference.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron