Wide drawer
Sorry to hear about your son. Breaking the biggest bone in the body is no small feat!  

There is a learning curve when it comes to installing drawers. There is a pretty high level of precision required to get the glides to work perfectly. It wasn't until I worked at a cabinet shop that  I really got the hang of installing the slides, drawers, fronts, and handles. As a hobbiest its pretty hard to get that kind of practice. Learning a few tricks is helpful too. I was blown away when I found out what those tabs were for on the glides. All the time wasted tweaking glides and fitting shims could have been avoided...
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
The 45" dimension is wider than recommended.  But I've done it and it worked as long as I pull from the center.  But I've only lightly loaded those drawers.

They make side rollers to keep the drawers in alignment.  They are cheap. 

My Scandinavian Furniture bed (expensive to buy, but cheaply made) had two drawers that were on casters, not drawer hardware.  Foolproof but inelegant.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/drawer-s...ackplates/

[Image: 078874227984?wid=300&hei=300]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Is this drawer at the floor level? Why not just put it on rollers?
I've don't that with two beds so far with just wooden guide rails on the side that drop down from under the bed frame.
Sorry, I don't have a picture handy, but the wheels are cut from plywood and the axles are these Bolt and cap
but a regular bolt may work. Mounts to the side of the drawer.

The drawer has a guide rail above the wheel that rides against the guide rail that drops from under the bed frame.
Works well. No issues.
Ray