Crating tools for a move
The move is 6 months off, but why wait...

Right now, the item of interest is a Oliver pattern makes vise. If you don't do it right, you will break the vise off at the neck. This vise has actually had that repaired. See this thread for pics...
Oliver Pattern Maker's Vise repair and rehab.

My plan is 1/2 CDX ply for all sides. Floor and top are just ply, sides re-enforced with 1x2.

Place the vise in the box and figure out where supports and re-enforcements need to go.

Hopefully just that simple...

Any advise? A quick innerweb search yielded squat. Mostly folks building cheap decorator crates.

Biggest fear is making it just hair too small...
Smile
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I don't know- If the movers are rough enough to break that vise, do you want them to move your furniture?  
Raised

I'd put it in a box and surround it tightly with an old blanket and mark the box NDNC (no drop-no crush).
a few thoughts:   I own 2 Emmert vises.  (shameless plug but it's true).

I may have to move in a year or two.   1) These items, like my camera gear, will not be handled by "pros" or movers. They go in the car/ or back of the pick up truck with me.  

2) If that option doesn't work - check out the Iron Hand website - shows how to crate an Emmert- not a lot different from an Oliver. 

3) If I made a box, I would use some rigid foam insulation as an inner layer.  Plywood- 5/8" or 3/4" for the skin.  I am not going to hope that 1/2" would work - my sense is that it's a little light if something "bad" happens. 

4)  A well made crate/box will be usable for something else in the future.   But that's just me.  

Perhaps a couple slots in the skin as hand holds/ where you can pick it up. 

Good luck -
Grab a large plastic bag or two.  Grab some expanding foam insulation.  Put the bag in the box and start filling it with foam, slowly, perhaps a layer every 20 minutes or so.  If you put in too much, the expansion will blow out the sides of the box.  The plastic will keep the foam from sticking to the vice.  Cut the foam off at the other end!

Edit to say, put the vice in the bag and fill the box! Either will work.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Well, I made one. Turned out well.  I don't think that I'm going to let movers move the bulk of the shop. We haven't settled on a self move or if we will u-haul for the bulk of the house.
[Image: 20170618_180656_zpssaznerwt.jpg]
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(06-18-2017, 05:20 PM)daddo Wrote: I don't know- If the movers are rough enough to break that vise, do you want them to move your furniture?  
Raised

I'd put it in a box and surround it tightly with an old blanket and mark the box NDNC (no drop-no crush).

This
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I moved about 9000 pounds of woodworking equipment from Kansas City to Hawaii. Took 63 crates, which I spent about six months building. None of them were as good as what you built. All large equipment was broken down to parts that weighed less than 300 pounds so I could handle them. Everything loaded into a 40 container and shipped to Hawaii. All arrived in perfect condition. All crates were built with 1/4" plywood and either 2x2 or 2x3 lumber and screwed together with about 15 pounds of screws.
Eventually, some of those crates became wall cabinets for the shop and others parts for other projects.
I'm not doing that again.....
VH07V  
(06-18-2017, 05:20 PM)daddo Wrote: I don't know- If the movers are rough enough to break that vise, do you want them to move your furniture?  
Raised

My thoughts too. Now im aready working out how im going to pack up my 36" bandsaw when we move. Not worried about the little stuff.
(06-19-2017, 01:50 AM)EightFingers Wrote: I moved about 9000 pounds of woodworking equipment from Kansas City to Hawaii. Took 63 crates, which I spent about six months building. None of them were as good as what you built. All large equipment was broken down to parts that weighed less than 300 pounds so I could handle them. Everything loaded into a 40 container and shipped to Hawaii. All arrived in perfect condition. All crates were built with 1/4" plywood and either 2x2 or 2x3 lumber and screwed together with about 15 pounds of screws.
Eventually, some of those crates became wall cabinets for the shop and others parts for other projects.
I'm not doing that again.....

Wow im amazed it actually arrived. When i lived in Hawaii we had some friends that were navy and they moved to and from hawaii 3 times in 7 years. The first two times the containers with their stuff fell off the ship during storms and are at the bottom of the bay. They learned their lesson and just sold everything on the third move and bought all new stuff when they got to Oahu.
I am intrigued by the expanding foam idea. I think we need a Samsonite luggage test on that
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure