Caster Wheel Failure and Replacement
For the second time in the last eighteen months, I have had wheels on my larger tool bases fail.  They just sorta fall apart.

[Image: broken%20wheel_zps20kxgnwr.jpg]

[Image: cracked%20wheel_zpspc42ommy.jpg]

As you can see in the picture, the "plastic" tire cracks and breaks up and falls off the plastic wheel.    As you can see in the second picture, another of the wheels had begun to crack and wasn't far behind, time to replace all four. I can't complain too much.  The shop fox bases are about fifteen years old. 
Wink  When it happened over a year ago to the band saw's base, I started looking around for quality casters to replace the existing casters on the shop fox base.  I was shocked at the cost of good casters, and then discovered that most casters won't fit the odd pattern on the shop fox bases.  (Of course, since I have a drill press, I could have made them work.)  But why not avoid the problem and find one that fits out of the box? 

Since I bought the bases at Woodcraft, I called them about the casters, they gave me the number for the company that provided the shop fox bases, and I called them to buy the proper casters.  Then, I got an idea, just replace the wheels.  I ordered the bases thru Woodcraft.  My local store didn't even know that Woodcraft handled replacement wheels and didn't have them in stock, but was happy to order them.  They said if they didn't fit, they would return them. 
No Took about a week, and when I went to pick up my four new wheels, I took an old one to match to the new one.  Perfect.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/3-cas...ment-wheel

Order thru the local store, free shipping to the store.  For us, it's a 75 minute drive, each way.

This time we ordered the wheels from Amazon, same 7.99 price and a few dollars shipping; they are not eligible for prime.  But, for what it costs me in gas to and from Woodcraft, and the three hours I'd spend going to town, ordering on line and having them shipped was the ticket.

The wheels work great, and are a snap to install.  Only problem in both cases for me, I had to buy new bolts.  The threads on the OEM bolts on the shop fox casters were too thick to work.  Meh... 
Raised  ... no biggie.  four 3/8 x 2" bolts and lock nuts won't break me. 
Big Grin

The new wheels on the table saw and the band saw are much smoother rolling and eventually I'm sure all the bases in the shop will be sporting them.  Hope this helps some of you if you run into the problem.  With two sources, you should be able to find them as well.

Yes
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I hope those solve your problem this time.

Oh, and thanks for your service.
All of my shop fox base caster wheels failed at one time it seemed like, 6 in total. I was able to find replacement wheels that were solid plastic type material that was rated at 300lbs per wheel locally at a caster shop. If I believe right I paid 4 dollars a wheel and they were direct replacements as well.
My snap-on creeper and roller seat wheels are made the same. Have that lining around the wheel that hardens and breaks up, falling off. Both are at least 20 years old now, but still warrantied by snap-on. Out of ten wheels combined, I've replaced 6 and have a couple more broke now.

Anything plastic,  is eventually going to fail.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Been there, done that.  My lathe came from Woodcraft on a custom base built and painted to match the lathe  by Fort Worth firemen, using casters from Woodcraft.  Probably two years later two of the red tires just came apart.  The lath had not moved.  I was lucky, my Woodcraft had replacement wheels in stock.

Here is the reason I am replying.....I noticed less than two weeks ago, two of the replacement wheels have come apart again.  The lathe has not moved at all in the last five years.  I am not going to replace the wheels until I need to move the lathe.

I hope your replacement wheels hold up better than mine did.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks for the input. Disappointing to hear the woodcraft wheels didn't last. If they fail on me... I'm back to looking for another source.
Not as critical anymore. Lots more room in the new shop.
Jim in Okie
I've ordered casters from http://www.servicecaster.com/  (though they were replacement casters for furniture, they have a wide selection).
Bhh,

I found the wheel I would order on the site you provided, so I saved the information. I now have a backup if needed. Thanks.
Jim in Okie
Surplus Center sells casters pretty cheap so it's worth a look.

Make sure you buy ones that can handle the weight of the machine. The casters on those bases are good for the middle weight rating but as you go towards the top weight they fail.
Don
Bill
Your lathe must vibrate those wheels a lot for them to just fail. Are you turning a lot of heavier stuff?
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure