Caster Wheel Failure and Replacement
(06-24-2017, 02:39 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Bill
Your lathe must vibrate those wheels a lot for them to just fail. Are you turning a lot of heavier stuff?

I think you nailed.  Even though I don't roll the late, I do mount up some rough pieces that cause vibration.  I do have 3, 80 pound bags of concrete as ballast.  So even though I don't roll the lathe, I guess I am putting some stress on the casters.

No one ever said I was the brightest light on the Christmas Tree.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Bill,
While vibrations may have contributed to it, I am not sure that they would have survived without it either. I had a Shop Fox heavy duty base and had the same experience within only several months with a machine way lower in weight than the stated capacity of the base. It was also rusted out of the box. Needless to say, I did not purchase another one of those.
Castors made like that are bound to fail. Plastic cushion/tread put on a hard rubber/plastic wheel.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-25-2017, 09:29 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Castors made like that are bound to fail. Plastic cushion/tread put on a hard rubber/plastic wheel.

Basically  everything will fail.  Where I work we use a hoist inspection service, because we know that eventually it will fail.  Old arn lasts much longer that today's machinery, but it will fail.

Therefore it comes down to a simple cost benefit analysis.  For a hobbyist,  a lot of the analysis is perception, rather than real data.  Should you spend more money to buy the better goods, or should you just PM (preventative maintenance) more often.  Since undoing a bolt and sliding in a new wheel is easy, I chose the maintenance route for that (though usually after a failure, rather than preventative).  However, on other equipment, I choose to spend the money up front and buy better quality.

As they say, you will curse once when you spend the money for the tool, or you will curse every time you use it: your choice.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
OK, I'm convinced that the casters on the Shop Fox base beneath my Grizzly TS will eventually fail.   Fortunately, mobility is NOT an issue, since I never move the machine.  But I wonder: what steps can I take now to keep my machine stable and level when the casters fail?  Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.