warped wood
I in fact committed that exact "sin" a couple of weeks back. I had glued up a small table top (3ft square) from 1.5" cypress. 

My shop is unheated, and it's middle of winter here, and expecting a frost overnight I was worried it would be too cold for the glue to cure properly. So I left a little electric oil column heater under the bench, set on low. The glue-up was on a couple of sticks to keep it off the table, but it must have trapped warm air under the panel. Come in next day, and there is a noticeable bow, maybe 1/2" an inch, across the 3 ft panel. 

Mutter mutter. Flipped it over and walked away.  It evened out by the next day and is fine now. 

Now in this case I knew the wood was properly air dried (been in the shed for years), and that I had induced the uneven moisture that caused the panel to temporarily cup. Once the top is in use both sides should be exposed to about the same environment, and a couple of coats of varnish slow any moisture exchange, so the top wont "banana" up just because it gets an hour of sunshine on the top side occasionally.