Artist statement
I can't get past the word "artist".  It sounds pretentious to me.  The stuff we (LOML and me) sell isn't "Art" in my sense of the word, it's crafted by hand and the best I can stomach as a name is "Artisan" or "Craftsman".  We'll be doing a bigger Art Fair this fall and I suppose we'll have to develop a statement for that.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
(06-25-2017, 07:43 PM)gMike Wrote: I can't get past the word "artist".  It sounds pretentious to me.  The stuff we (LOML and me) sell isn't "Art" in my sense of the word, it's crafted by hand and the best I can stomach as a name is "Artisan" or "Craftsman".  We'll be doing a bigger Art Fair this fall and I suppose we'll have to develop a statement for that.

I can relate to this. I was a wood worker for many years and only did furniture work, refinishing and repair. I considered myself a decent craftsman but knew, and said, I'd never be an artist. Shortly after I discovered turning for it's own sake, I told my wife, I'm still not an artist but turning makes me feel like one. That was a few years ago and I've gotten comfortable with the idea that I have some artistic ability.  Part of that is the journey itself, part of it is not being intimidated by the word anymore.
Steve K

My ww'ing frend and I make a few things for a local Christmas art show.  He is a turner, I do straight stuff like tables and cabinets.  Most of the items there are paintings, sculptures,  jewelry and other similar objects.  We basically have the only wood things there.

The folks at the gallery asked if each 'artist' describe how they conceive, develop, and make their items.  My friend bailed, asked me to cover our things.  So as I listened to the other folks describe how they got inspiration from a sunrise over a snow covered wood lot, light shimmering off the surface a remote pond reflecting the tree line of a distant hill, uncovering a stunning and graceful figure from a block of stone, and so forth, I had to come up with something.  Anything.  

Me, I get rough cut wood, 8' and 10' long boards, make it square and straight, then join it together to make functional things.  Not  lot of inspiration involved, just straight line work, then clean up the sawdust.   

So when it was my turn, I start out by saying that each piece of wood is a unique object.  When I prepare it for assembly, I uncover its hidden potential (joint and plane), never knowing what to expect until the final shape (table saw)has been achieved, then I bring the object to its ultimate state (glue and clamps) with a careful combination of function and design (plans), creative combination of diverse parts (match the grain pattern), blending surfaces to a uniform structure (sanding), maximizing the color mixture in the different parts to highlight the desired creative result (dye or stain), and final visual appearance and luster (poly or shellac).   

The other artists remarked how informative and descriptive my presentation was.  I went home and took a shower...
If you sell a bowl for $30, it's craft.
If you sell the same bowl for $300, it's art.

Remember that each piece is unique and a one-of-a-kind creation. Do not hesitate to call yourself an artist.
From time to time at an art show, I've heard the comment, "I could do that." My response is "Have at it."
I have even named many of my larger turnings, had a brass plate made and attached it. Adds a bit.
And the point about the history of the piece - very important. People like to show off and tell about what they bought.

GM
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
"Sell" should never be in the equation as it expresses that is your goal and reason. It is obvious your selling to begin with.

You are "offering" to share your imagination and talent with others and when they actually pay for it, that gives you the ultimate satisfaction.

From your hands to theirs.
I agree with sparky. Try not to make it a stand out point you're there for the sale of your work. Let folks know the craftsman side of you, & the intellectual ability you have to put together such a creation. 

As a scroll sawyer, physically, I'm no artist in the sense of the word. I couldn't draw a stick man with a box full of pencils. I order my patterns online by selection of interest, customer request, & what I think will draw new interest to our craft. I've been at this 26 years & I've designed patterns using several pieces of other patterns put together, made wall hangings, name plates, animals, combines & tractors, you name it, I've cut it on the saw. One of the first questions I always get "is that laser cut?" And when I tell them no, it's scroll sawn, then I've got there interest & attention. It'd amaze you at how many folks have no idea what a scroll saw is. But, my process is basically the same as preparing a blank for turning.

I use rough sawn lumber. Joint & plane it to the thickness I need. Glue pieces together to get the width I need, cut it to dimensions on the ts or ras, sand it to bring out the grain of the wood, tape the surface, & glue the pattern to the wood. Then start drillin' entry holes for the blades, & it's off to the saw. Every project may take 3, maybe 4 sizes of different blades to complete the project. After folks hear all this, see the end result, then they call me an artist. I just tell them I don't consider myself an artist, I've just found something I've taught myself to do since I'm no longer able to drive a truck, & it makes folks smile. It makes it all worthwhile.
Sawdust703
Smile

head sawdust maker
Raised
(06-25-2017, 07:43 PM)gMike Wrote: I can't get past the word "artist".  It sounds pretentious to me.  
sadly, there is a lot to that nowadays.  Although some artists have good levels of craftsmanship too.  But if you have to emulate the ones that do good work to get paid, that's what you should do.  There are two local arts fests here in town.  One has "artists" and is juried, and the other one is a glorified crafts fair.  Prices on some things are 10x at the pretentious fest for very similar items.  You can see where this is going.  Best to puff yourself up and get paid.
I'm in eleven galleries across the state of Hawaii. I just say my statement is in every piece I make. Everything else is just words.
VH07V  
Do a lot of tourists buy your stuff?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
A craftsman makes a bowl that will hold soup(function).  An artist makes an object that evokes the feeling of a bowl(form),  It doesn't have to hold soup.  That doesn't mean an artist can't be a good craftsman too.  The better ones are. They have an understanding of the tools and materials they're working with like a good craftsman would. The work of many craftsmen can also be considered art.  The main difference is their priorities.
I fall into the craftsman side of things. The stuff I make has to be functional.
I would struggle with the artist statement too but if it pays better it's worth working out the details.
Rodney