Saw dust used to absorb liquids
I just read that sawdust is an effective absorbent and works particularly well absorbing the liquid in vomit making it easy to sweep up.  I did not know that.  And here I've been throwing the stuff away when I should have been bringing it to the local child care facility for their cleanups.
Smile
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
that's what "sweeping compound" is, colored sawdust with some kind of treatment in it.  When I worked in a factory, every friday we would spread that stuff around and sweep it up and then we'd be done for the week. They got rid of the fine particulates somehow, so home made wouldn't be quite as good.
For many years, I kept an area of sawdust under the cars in the garage to absorb oil drippings and periodically cleaned it up and replaced it as needed.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

Smile 
(06-22-2017, 09:10 AM)GeorgeV Wrote: For many years, I kept an area of sawdust under the cars in the garage to absorb oil drippings and periodically cleaned it up and replaced it as needed.

I took a different approach:  I had the oil leaks repaired.
Big Grin
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I've used it for all sorts of absorption duties. When I change the oil on the cars, I always had some that wound up on the floor. Sawdust made it quick and easy to get up. I've also used small buckets of it to absorb leftover paint and finishes that then went to the landfill.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Just don't throw it by the shovel full into a fire. Air-born sawdust is explosive!

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(06-22-2017, 09:37 AM)Cooler Wrote: I took a different approach:  I had the oil leaks repaired.
Big Grin

He has a Chevy.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Yep we used it all the time in the Military and it is mixed with oils so it would not fly and stay on the concrete and sweep up heavy solids better without raising dust.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
FWIW if sawdust isn't handy, Cat litter works as well as anything else. Due to cost most medic units use litter instead of the much costlier product just for "medical use" All of them will get water or "stuff" with liquid in it, oil, really about any spill will get absorbed, and you can easily sweep, and put it into the trash, or red medical waste bag, whichever is more appropriate.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Where I live we can not put leftover paint in the garbage as is, but adding sawdust, or cat litter makes it acceptable.
(06-22-2017, 10:26 AM)Foggy Wrote: Just don't throw it by the shovel full into a fire. Air-born sawdust is explosive!

I toss sawdust and chips on the fire in the grill all the time. The fine dust will burn but its hard to get the mixture just right it usually just smothers the fire and makes nice smoke.