Impact Driver?
HD had Milwaukee Drill  and Impact Driver 12v kit for $99 last weekend. Not sure if they still have them but was a good deal.
(06-23-2017, 02:56 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Maybe you don't actually need an impact driver for 1-1/2" screws, but they sure drive a lot easier with less chance of breakage or the bit camming out when you use one.  And you can drive self drilling screws without drilling a pilot hole very easily with an impact driver.  I have 12V Hitachi that I really like for light duty cabinet type work, and an 18V Milwaukee for construction type work.  I wouldn't want to be w/o either now that I have them.  

John

This.....only difference, I have 12v Bosch & 20v DeWalt.

Ed
Milwaukee or Bosch 12v both are great. Lowest price wins in my book. If you aren't rushed Christmas will find super low prices on combo kits, sometimes with extra batteries. It's like a price war then.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I love the Rigid 12 volt combo kit. I think the impact is great, especially if driving Philips screws.
Lifetime free repairs and batteries. A no brainer for me. Even if it didn't have lifetime battery replacement, it's a good set. I paid $99. for the set.
I used a drill for years and thought a driver was a "gimicky" item.  Then I got the Bosch socket ready impact driver and my view has changed.  One of my favourite tools now.  Any of the better name brands will serve you well.  My set up is ideal now.  A drill for boring holes, another for a counter sink, and the driver to put the screw in.  All Bosch 18V cordless because that is the cordless platform I got into and I don't want multiple chargers.
Like most of the others, I use an impact driver for all screws, woodworking or otherwise. They are so much easier than plain vanilla drivers. If you buy a kit for woodworking, buy a 12v kit. 18v tools are way overkill for almost all woodworking projects. I bought a Milwaukee 18v "Fuel" drill/driver and it's a big, heavy monster. It sits unused in my cabinet 99% of the time. I have several 12v tools that get used all the time. They are light, compact and have plenty of power for woodworking.
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice and responses. I'm ready to go to HD and handle their wares, and with my retired military discount, should do OK. I believe they have all the brands mentioned above. I've decided to go with an impact set and if find I don't like the impact feature, I'll p/u a plain driver. All 12v...... approaching the big 8-0 next year, weight is a big consideration in everything I do now. Your shared experiences in this area helps a lot !!

Jerry
Jerry go and look, but smart money says to come home and Google the model you decide on. Unless it is a Rigid, which HD would likely have the best deal on, I'm thinking not being Christmas, you will find a better deal through a major online seller. Probably even now a combo kit would be less $$$$$$ than just individual impact drivers too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I bought a Bosch combo from Amazon,drill and impact driver for $149 with free shipping.Love the pair.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Milwaukee just introduced a new M18 surge impact fuel this summer here is a review: https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/pow...ver/26412/ I myself have 2 m12 Fuel Impacts and 1 m18 Fuel.  For day to day I like the m12 ones.  With the low setting you can lightly screw in a screw, the m18 has 3 levels.  The biggest issue with all impacts is to get it to drive it has to engage.  The impact has to start to turn the screw.  This is where a driver works better and has less noise.  Dan