Need recommendations
I need a couple of carving tools. I’m not a carver nor intend to become one other that using a few of these tool for shaping wood parts.

Example: I making a Block-Front Chest. Hopefully the picture explains what I’m going to do. What I’m looking for is Brand names of good quality Sweep gouges.

<a data-flickr-embed="true"  href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/12080319@N08/35482749481/in/dateposted/" title="IMG_2612 (Large)">IMG_2612 (Large)</a><script async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8[/img]</script>
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
The ones in the photo look like Swiss Made (Pfeil) available at Woodcraft. The sweep and size is on the handles. What book is that?
(06-26-2017, 06:42 PM)TheCabinetmaker Wrote: The ones in the photo look like Swiss Made (Pfeil) available at Woodcraft. The sweep and size is on the handles. What book is that?

The book is "Building Period Furniture" by Glen Huey
Eagle River AK
Most of my carving tools are Pfeils and I can recommend them.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I'd recommend watching some of the intro videos at Mary may's site. She has some recommendations on basic tools and how to sharpen, etc

I don't recall her specific recommendations, but I did get a few pfeil's for general purpose use afterwards

Matt
Do you have a bandsaw with a resaw blade? Every hand tool-only stuck-up has one hidden in a corner under tarps.
[Image: IMG_2610%20Large_zpsdrdt6tbd.jpg]
[/quote]

That is all  I see on the pic.

I have a bunch of Pfeil and really like them for cutting edge, and those quirky handles. Not sure if this will open to the page I am looking at If not click on "chip carving knives" Just seems like whatever the blade geometry the handle compliments it perfectly. Smart folks
Yes  
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Ruffcut, I'm guessing you will need something like a #8/16 to shape the concave portion of the chest and a # 7/16 for the convex portion. Almost all of my carving tools are Pfeil. Your best bet would be to print out the full size pattern and take it up to Woodcraft. You can check the sweep of the tools against the pattern to see what the correct sweep and size is.
(06-28-2017, 05:18 PM)Steve N Wrote: [Image: IMG_2610%20Large_zpsdrdt6tbd.jpg]

That is all  I see on the pic.

I have a bunch of Pfeil and really like them for cutting edge, and those quirky handles. Not sure if this will open to the page I am looking at If not click on "chip carving knives" Just seems like whatever the blade geometry the handle compliments it perfectly. Smart folks
Yes  
Big Grin
[/quote]

Seem like PB is changing the rules and I have to pay money now for that photo to show. The 399.99 looks like the only package that allows linking.

With a PLUS Photobucket account, you receive all the benefits of a Free Account, "plus" many more! 
Already have a Plus account but need more storage?
Do you have a Free account and want to know HOW to upgrade?

Please visit this link: Get Plus!
Pricing: The cost of a PLUS account varies according to how much storage you need! Please note, all subscriptions are billed annually.
  • 2 GB - Free
  • Ad Free (no additional storage or bandwidth) - $2.49 / Month
  • 50 GB - $59.99 / Year
  • 100 GB - $99.99 / Year
  • 500 GB - $399.99 / Year
When you upgrade to PLUS:
  • Premium Support. You have direct access to our tech support team. Email our PLUS Support Team 
  • Storage. You get more space for your media.
  • Bandwidth: Bandwidth is a measure of the resources needed to display your media outside of Photobucket (example: images linked to your blog).
Plus 50 offers 52GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting
Plus 100 offers 102GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting
Plus 500 offers 502GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting
  • No Ads: When you're logged into your Photobucket Plus account, you won't see any ads on Photobucket pages (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts).
Eagle River AK
(06-28-2017, 07:45 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Ruffcut,  I'm guessing you will need something like a #8/16 to shape the concave portion of the chest and a # 7/16 for the convex portion. Almost all of my carving tools are Pfeil. Your best bet would be to print out the full size pattern and take it up to Woodcraft. You can check the sweep of the tools against the pattern to see what the correct sweep and size is.

Thanks for you comments Dave. I believe the concave portion is 1 1/2 " radius.
Eagle River AK