Router that fits a 3/4" roundover bit?
Thank you for the tips Robert!
(06-27-2017, 07:42 AM)fredhargis Wrote: it's kind of a disease.

Ain't that the truth
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I sold a bunch, while moving stuff around for the new shop I found I had 44 of the darn things. I need a 12 step plan with a non woodworking sponsor. My wife volunteered, but she is too mean
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
The Craftsman brand is in a period of transition, after being sold by Sears.  I'd stick with a known quantity, Makita, Bosch, etc.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I wouldn't buy craftsman right now either because of their uncertain future.
What does "budget router" mean?

Budgets vary depending on the person.

If you're looking to spend less and hope for good quality, I'd look into the used market. Bosch's 1617EVS line is great and can be had on CL and eBay for fair prices. I've had my set for over a decade and love it. I actually bought an extra motor so I could put one in the fixed base and one into the plunge base that the original kit had.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-30-2017, 12:56 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: What does "budget router" mean?

Budgets vary depending on the person.

If you're looking to spend less and hope for good quality, I'd look into the used market.  Bosch's 1617EVS line is great and can be had on CL and eBay for fair prices.  I've had my set for over a decade and love it.  I actually bought an extra motor so I could put one in the fixed base and one into the plunge base that the original kit had.

I guess budget means anything other than Festool.  I've never thought of the Bosch 1617EVS as a budget router; it's probably the best overall router I own.  I think of the Sears router I bought more as a budget router.  The one I have is no longer sold; too bad, it's a very good machine for the $80 I paid for it.  

So your point is well taken - it depends on the person.

John
(06-29-2017, 05:01 PM)Admiral Wrote: The Craftsman brand is in a period of transition, after being sold by Sears.  I'd stick with a known quantity, Makita, Bosch, etc.

No transition at all with them as they sold the use of the name but retained it for a few years. As for uncertianty of the company yeah thats true but imo doesn't matter. I have 7 or 8 of their routers and no problems at all. If something dies in 5 years in it no biggie. 

Also the same routers are sold under a store brand at lowes but theirs is just a router table kit and no speed control. 

Yeah sears is dying a slow death but there are a few gems to take advantage of and this is probably the best. I have the other brands as well with milwaukee being my favorite, didnt like the triton and the bosch had a sticky lopsided plunge base and acessories that only fit one of their routers. The ridgid is good but imo overpriced now with the newer version.
            Whatever you do dont buy tools with magnesium parts. They will corrode they will get stuck.
Other than the table router, I use the Porter Cable "Trim Router" most of the time.

If I went full size, I would get one I could adapt later to a table and with 1/4" and 1/2" collets. I use 1/2" bits 90% of the time- smoother running and I think safer.
(06-26-2017, 09:10 PM)ThatDudeThere Wrote: Hello, 
I'm having a hard time confirming this, and since I'm a forum guy I thought...why not ask here? 
I just want a simple hand router, but it seems I need a table setup so I can fit a 3/4" roundover bit. Am I right, and can you recommend a budget router? 
Thank you!

I would spend the money for a Porter Cable 890 router and then buy one of these.  You can get one without a plunge base for a decent price.  I now have two of them, one came from Ebay and the other was a clearance item I found.  I keep the second one setup for the dovetail jig.

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/porter-cable-42188
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.