Wood Working Magazines - Any recommendations?
I like 360 but the issue I have with it is that it's all online (I work on a computer all day and don't want to work/play on one all evening) and I haven't found 360 to be mobile friendly for my phone. I'm still in my first year subscription of it but I'm not yet finding the value over print subscriptions.

Print magazines are nice and they each have their own flare, as discussed above, and can be easily perused while, well, sitting on the throne.

My preferred magazine right now is Popular Mechanics. It doesn't get as much into the grit of how-to, but it has a very eclectic approach and keeps my interest and I find it inspirational.

Youtube is nice and i do watch a lot of it, but there's a painfully annoying trend for one to show e v e r y t h I n g in time lapse and so I ff a lot. I want to be educated and inspired, not watch a project be assembled - especially if it's with pocket screws.
But there are a few that do a great job of filming and editing with music and they can be very enjoyable to watch on occasion.
Ray
(06-30-2017, 09:47 PM)AHill Wrote: Actually Schwarz left before Shanesy did.  Almost 2 years before.  Schwarz was Executive Editor when he left.  Shanesy was the Publisher and Editorial Group Director.  Lost Arts Press was started about 4 years before Schwarz left PWW.  Megan Fitzpatrick took over as Managing Editor in late 2012, after Schwarz left and just about a year before Shanesy retired.

Allan I was going to point that out, bring from CinDay myself I was thinking bhh must have slept through parts of the dirty litany that ended the best woodworking magazines there were.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-01-2017, 08:32 AM)DogwoodTales Wrote: But there are a few that do a great job of filming and editing with music and they can be very enjoyable to watch on occasion.

I have found a guy who likes the sound of his voice will make for a dull video. Some of the best are completely non talking. That requires them to show the necessities. I also find that when you find such a person, that subscribing to their channel is a good thing.

GW
Since most of these videos are free to the viewers, we can't have too much to complain. To their credits, they put in time and effort, trying their best, though their best isn't necessarily and most often than not what we consider the best. After all, the majority of them are amateur videographers. Of course, some of them do not want to hear about or act on any negative but constructive feedback from their viewers. It is their house rules, they insist. (Same thing many magazine publishers wouldn't want to change, despite the circulation or subscription numbers are telling them something is not right.)

I can usually tell from the first minute or two of viewing to determine if I should leave completely and fast forward to see what else there is. One time, I came across a video in which a guy was showing some techniques with sound. But the most of the audio wasn't about the subject on hand, but a separate recording in which he talked about something else! If the audio was music I liked, I wouldn't mind, but his long lecture? I muted his video right away.

Music really isn't necessary in any woodworking videos, have you ever seen a New Yankee Workshop episode with music to fill the air? If one is desired, play some softly in the background.

If wordiness is the enemy of a good prose, long-windedness must be the most common and annoying mistake many many woodworking videographers make, including many who aim to instruct others -- for monetary gains or not.

Simon
(07-01-2017, 12:00 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Music really isn't necessary in any woodworking videos, have you ever seen a New Yankee Workshop episode with music to fill the air? If one is desired, play some softly in the background.

I don't mind a little bumper music. Does anyone know the artist or the song on this video? If you haven't seen the video before, it's worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4
Thanks, Lynden. Looks like a good channel.

To be clear I certainly did not intend to be overly critical of anyone on YT. But the time lapse is overused by both amateurs and seasoned YTrs without adding value.

Music is not necessary, but some do a great job of adding interest with music. Carl Jacobson is one that comes to mind.
Ray
A view from the other side: I have been writing for Woodworker's Journal since 2000, Woodcraft since 2004 and contributed to Wood a couple of times.

Fine Woodworking is a bit of an exception, but generally all of the magazines are aimed at beginners and novices. The fact is that they are the ones most likely to buy magazines to learn their craft. Everyone here pretty much did. I certainly did, used to subscribe to all of them for a while.

Then I began to 'outgrow' them. The articles no longer interested or challenged me. THAT is when I decided to start writing my own articles.

So yes, most magazines 'recycle' projects, the cycle is about every five years. This keeps the content relevant to the target audience. With a bit of luck, the new version of the project can incorporate a new tool, hardware or technique, but sometimes it does mean just another chair or table design.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Bad music ruins a YouTube video, plain and simple.

Bentley
Recycling is unavoidable in woodworking magazines, and I have no objection to that, provided the recycled article adds to the body of knowledge or skills, or provides new information or techniques/ways of doing the same project.

What I am seeing in FW is laziness in the editorial dept. when it publishes an article void of real substance, other than well-shot photos. Remember, we are talking about the best of the best woodworking issues, and not an entry-level publication. The benchmark is much higher for them than for the rest, I must say. Shame on the editors if they think they are running a magazine on great photography.

I have no bones with Wood, Woodworker's Journal, Woodcraft and others as they position themselves for beginners and intermediate woodworkers. I know what I am buying when I pick up any of their issues at a newsstand. It was almost 20 years ago when I built anything out of a magazine or used a plan in my shop. I complain and vote with my wallet (soon) only when a traditionally strong entity fails to deliver or listen. The last straw could be the way FW went back to the old cover design -- out of nowhere. No consultation or survey with its readers. I hate the vintage look and would prefer the modern design which is only available to newsstand buyers. But I am not given a choice on the cover as a long time subscriber.

Simon
(07-01-2017, 01:25 PM)Lynden Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4

You could contact Le Schwarz @ Lost art press

Or Mike Siemsen @ his woodworking school

Schwarz is the Master of the unknown catchy tune, not sure about Mike's musical likes? Mike is an awesome educator, and all around cheerleader for woodworking. He runs the Hand Tool Olympics at the WIA gigs, or used to.

GW