FWW Shaving horse - correction
The current issue of Fine Woodworking has a how-to for a very nice shaving horse. Both the article and the purchased plans contain an error which can result in legs which are too short. The rough size for the front leg has to be at least 22", and better 23" long before trimming. Both article and plan specify 20". I am posting this to save you all the aggravation I had when I followed the plans, only to have to make a new set of legs....

That all said, it's a nice design, with a comfy chair and a strong grip.

[Image: IMG_2911_zpshak16q0m.jpg]
(06-30-2017, 10:26 AM)dov tayles Wrote: The current issue of Fine Woodworking has a how-to for a very nice shaving horse. Both the article and the purchased plans contain an error which can result in legs which are too short. The rough size for the front leg has to be at least 22", and better 23" long before trimming. Both article and plan specify 20". I am posting this to save you all the aggravation I had when I followed the plans, only to have to make a new set of legs....

Good catch.

I've (slowly) developed the habit of drawing my own set of plans based on what I see or read.  Primarily because I like to tweak things either for aesthetic reasons or to make fit a particular space.  But I've now learned two side benefits to this.  First it tends to catch boo-boos like the above as well as show me where I may have assembly issues.  Second, my drafting and rendering skills are (also slowly) improving.

And being typically slow on the uptake, it took me a few re-reads of your forum handle to get the joke.
Rolleyes
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Rob, that is an excellent policy. Good discipline. Glad you got a chuckle from my handle.
Very nice job on the horse.
Ag
Thanks for the heads up, I plan to make one and will have to mark up the plans. Great job on yours, maybe you can give us an update sometime after you use yours a bit more.