Foot switch for Router
My old Craftsman fixed base router had a trigger switch on the handle.  My subsequent router purchases have all been dual base units, with a rocker switch on the motor unit.  I picked up a foot switch (latch-on type) and I like it.  Do others use a foot switch with their routers?  Momentary or Latch-on type?  

I have the Harbor Freight switches, so I will have to make a safety guard to prevent accidental triggering.  Eventually I may buy the Bosch router with the trigger switch.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I like the d handle base with my 618 dewalt routers. I used to use a foot switch with a 690 while using a omnijig dt jig. Now i just use the trigger on a d handle.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

+1 on the foot switch.  They are great!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
momentary if the router is in the table being hand fed , latched if it is on my Legacy mill where I am  in control of the head movements
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

The biggest problem I see is the foot switch on the floor not easily found when the router needs to be turned off immediately and your eyes are distracted looking for it thus taking your attention off the work passing thru the bit. Serious injury could result.

I prefer and use a paddle switch like that on my table saw that can easily be bumped with my knee without distracting my attention from the rotaing bit.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

(07-02-2017, 11:16 AM)GeorgeV Wrote: The biggest problem I see is the foot switch on the floor not easily found when the router needs to be turned off immediately and your eyes are distracted looking for it thus taking your attention off the work passing thru the bit. Serious injury could result.

This is my concern with the rocker switch on the router body - not quick enough.  In this case, I was using the router handheld, making box joints, using my homemade box joint jig (Shop Notes style).  I was in one spot and I knew exactly where the switch was.  I thought about plugging the foot switch into the paddle switch, for safety reasons.  I also have thought about using a panic bar (not just a paddle) on some of my equipment.  I have not done either, yet.

When I used the router in the table, I do use the big paddle switch.  Good safety catch George.  Thanks.
READ THIS!!!!!

There are 2 types of foot switches available for this type use. One is simply an on/off that you control with your foot, pretty dangerous if something happens. The other is called a deadmans switch, they only work when your foot is on the pedal, problem just step off, or if you pass out and go down, it will kill the tool. They are much safer, but only on tools where your entire operation is arm width wide. If you are routing or shaping a 12' long board, not so much.

Amazon available a lot of other places too.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-02-2017, 05:40 PM)Steve N Wrote: READ THIS!!!!!

There are 2 types of foot switched available for this type use. One is simply an on/off that you control with your foot, pretty dangerous if something happens. The other is called a deadmans switch, they only work when your foot is on the pedal, problem just step off, or if you pass out and go down, it will kill the tool. They are much safer, but only on tools where your entire operation is arm width wide. If you are routing or shaping a 12' long board, not so much.

Amazon available a lot of other places too.

The momentary switch (what you are calling the dead man switch) is not, in my opinion, the safest.  With the latch-on switch, I tap it with my foot and then return my foot to the floor, increasing my stability while holding a 1.75HP motor spinning a sharp cutting object.  In one case, tool control helps me to avoid injury, in the other case, the tool stops after I am injured.  I have both foot switches.  I like the momentary switch on the drill press and the jig saw.  I tried both when using the hand held router while making box joints.  I prefer the latching type switch for this task.
Not being a smart azz here when I say, if standing with one foot slightly higher than the other, but still touching down throws you that off center, you really should consult with a Doctor about balance issues. That is for real, and using power equipment when that seriously off balance is dangerous.

Everyone has to do what they think is best. I only know from injuries I have taken care of, that if the tool is blazing hot, and it literally hits the fan, you must get your foot to the switch to kill your tool. During that interval I have seen the injuries that occur when guys couldn't get out of the way. Like anything, you can reason it out, but when it goes sideways, reason leaves the building. Everything I put on here, similar to this, has at least one sad ending story behind it. In this case it is several. Beside best of luck, thats all I'll say.

The alternative to both of these is a big old (see below) mounted up where it is already right next to your hands, when they are on the tool.

[Image: s-l300.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Even better is to put it on the table edge so you can press it with your body.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson