representative wiring requirements for heat/cool minisplit?
I'm in the early stages of converting to minisplits for heating and cooling the house replacing radiant electric ceiling heat.  My friend the HVAC engineer thinks I should keep the radiant heat as a backup, so that doesn't help my very full electric panel at all.  I suppose I could have it rewired to use a subpanel that I could shut off when the minisplit(s) are working.  

But if anyone has had a minisplit put in, what were the electrical requirements?  I had a heater in the basement that I decommisioned, so the wiring for that is in a convenient place.  But I was curious if it has high enough ampacity for the outside unit of a minisplit. That would be really convenient.
I've installed dozens. Some were 20 amp @240, some were less, some were more. What size units and how many heads are being run off it. Most use one power supply outside and a multi wire cable powers and communicates with the head(s).
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I think the current wiring is 20 amps, gotta check.  It would be nice if it was 30 amps.  I have a sub panel in the basement that can probably handle a couple of 30 amp loads, but I would like to use the existing wiring
My last 2 ton mini heat pump (no strips) was a 15 amp circuit.
I guess the inside units must pull a lot more if they have backup electric resistance heat.  I think I'm going to end up putting the current heat on a subpanel, assuming they will let me.
Call an electrician.
I might call an electrician, but this wouldn't be my first subpanel.