Before & After
Took maybe an hour..
the "Before"

And..

And the "After"

Haven't  decided about a refinish on the handle...
Rolleyes

E.C. Atkins & Co.    Silver Steel  AAA logo...24" long tooth line, 8 ppi.   Model No. 59  according to the now readable etch. 

Not bad for a free saw....
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Looks great!  How did you remove the rust?
1/4 sheet sander, with 150 grit paper.....and not much pressure on it.

Thanks..
Hmmm.......That's the "easy man's way of getting rust off".
Big Grin   

I prefer to use vinegar and step up through 100, 120, 150, 220, and 600 grits with using elbow grease.  Then I use a buffer wheel on a stationary grinder and hit that with green buffer paste.  Makes for a nice shiny surface once I'm finished.

For the handle I like to hand scrape the old shellac off with one of my hand plane blades.  Then use 150 and 600 grit sandpaper.  Dip a paper towel into some wood stain and finally use clear coat acrylic spray rattle can to finish it out.  Once everything is dry I rub a hunk of beeswax over all surfaces and buff it out with a paper towel.  

Since I've started using the beeswax, for over a year I've not had any rust build-up on any of my hand saws.  I love that stuff as a rust preventative.

Not to step on the OP's way of doing things, just trying to add another insight on how to get similar results.
(07-06-2017, 02:16 AM)bandit571 Wrote: 1/4 sheet sander, with 150 grit paper.....and not much pressure on it.

Thanks..

Next time, use a razor blade in a holder to scrape off the heavy rust from the plate, then proceed with abrasives of your choice.  Saves a lot of time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Total time on this saw, was just under an hour, counting the Gun Blue paste trick....
In the "after" image, is that a kink about 5" from the tip? I am trying to identify kinks from images, and thought you could confirm - deny my guesstimate by reflection. 

Thanks, and that sounds a lot easier than my other go-by's. I have a No. 12, light wt.  needing another handle. With a little rust removal. Ready to post a "want" to the S&S for handle.
There WAS a kink.....no longer there.   Was "hammered" out after the rust was gone, thus the shiny spot. 

Now, IF I could just find a use for those Meat-cutter's saws.....a short one, and two 24" ones.....terrible wood cutters...