How not to put in a window
I'm installing a bigger window in the master bedroom and today I took out the old one. The existing windows aren't very old. The first thing that bothered me was that the house has no wrap over the OSB. Build in 1992, it should have something, Tyvec, something. The next thing that bothered me was that the original bedroom window was taken out and replaced with a "replacement" window. They also did no flashing on the rough opening when they installed . As a matter of fact, what they did was hammer the alumimum siding into the new opening and shot 4 screws into the corners, wrapped some 1X with aluminum and nailed and caulked everything into place. As soon as the caulk fails, I have a rotten wall. Granted they used a ton of caulk and it has held up but the owner of the home either got ripped off of he did a crappy job in just to get new windows in the house to sell it. I don't know. Here's a pic of the opening with the window out. I'd never seen anything this poorly done. There was no way to tell without pulling off the 1x trim and wrap.

I had assumed they trimmed back the siding, flashed the opening and installed a flanged, new construction window. I've done a couple that way. It's not the right way but I've done it.

The white caulk line was the edge of the wrapped 1x. Looked good from the ground.

[Image: 20170709_194243_zpst3amawwf.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Least they didnt liquid nails the window in place. 

Dood that owned my house that was foreclosed on, did that to the patio door. Took 3 hours to remove. No membrane or anything on the bottom. Praise god I have insane overhangs....the the possible weather intrusion was limited.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Whoever did that, has done it before. That was done by a guy paid by the window.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
(07-09-2017, 09:29 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Whoever did that, has done it before. That was done by a guy paid by the window.

I agree. It looked fine until I pulled off the trim.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Last week I replaced the bottom 4' of siding on 2 sides of my house.  There was no layer between the siding and the OSB either.  I'm also in MD.  I used 30lb felt.

I'm trying to figure out the order of operations on your window.  Do you think when that window was installed, there used to just be a wall?  I don't understand why the siding would be wrapped around the framing like that.
(07-10-2017, 05:36 PM)atgcpaul Wrote: Last week I replaced the bottom 4' of siding on 2 sides of my house.  There was no layer between the siding and the OSB either.  I'm also in MD.  I used 30lb felt.

I'm trying to figure out the order of operations on your window.  Do you think when that window was installed, there used to just be a wall?  I don't understand why the siding would be wrapped around the framing like that
I really have no idea what happened here. I do know the original windows were aluminum. It doesn't make sense to me either. If there was a window there, it was narrow, judging by how much siding was wrapped around the opening. But a narrow window (probably) would not have passed inspection because of egress requirements. There is another window done the same way. It was in the same room. I moved some walls and now that window is in the master bath. I'll have to fix it too but I'll probably wait till we re-side the house... or ignore it if we decide to sell it. All the other windows have a J-Channel around them.
See the window up stairs to the left? Those were the only two like that. The others all look like the lower level windows.
Last night:
[Image: 20170709_194321_zpshvfgz9ut.jpg]
An hour ago:
[Image: 20170710_190229_zpsd66ljasw.jpg]

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS