Vine Id?
I'm used to a lot of poison ivy growing in my trees.  Lately i've noticed a different vine, with lighter green leaves and no red fur.  Is this kudzu (which I understand has been slowly continuing its march north and is now in Dutchess County, NY):

[Image: 35668845192_37576624cf_c.jpg]

[Image: 35705821301_fee4106c98_c.jpg]

Anything to do but keep pulling them out as they appear?  Down in Westchester, it seems that this vine has blanketed half the county.

Wild grape.... toxic
Menispermum Canadense
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Thank you.

I have them all over my property. Not the exact variety but the same big, tall vines. We're on a wooded lot.  I don't think they're a parasite like ivy where they attach themselves to the tree, they basically tie themselves to the trees. I cut them off at the ground and let nature do the rest. I'm not climbing up a tree to remove them. They do attract fruit eating birds like bluebirds so I don't kill all of them, just the ones I can see from the house. The plant itself is somewhat toxic but I'm not sure about the fruit. The seed is toxic. My wife gets a rash from touching it.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Round-Up or the generic.
Using a small artist brush, carefully paint a number of the leaves.  Don't need to soak them, just moisten the leaves.  A week or so they will die out from the roots. 

Have never tried it on this plant, but have done this on a number of viny plants,  including poison ivy, that have sprung up on various trees and bushes on our property.
Painting a few leaves is enough to kill the whole vine?  I'll try it.

(07-12-2017, 01:03 PM)David Stone Wrote: Painting a few leaves is enough to kill the whole vine?  I'll try it.

You can try slicing into the vine and putting it in the cut. It works pretty well on the big poison ivy vines.

... Kizar Sosay

Best way is to cut it down and then paint the fresh cut with straight UNDILUTED round-up. If you are going for the scorched earth approach use a brush killer - my preferred brand is crossbow, but be careful this can harm smaller trees as well.
Well "undiluted" can mean anything between 18% and 60%.  Generally stump treatment should be done with 30-40% glyphosate.  But...yes there are better products.  Tordon RTU is usually pretty easy to find at about $16-$18 per quart.  It works great...but if you are doing a few hundred stems per acre, you may seem some non-target impact.  I like Garlon better than Crossbow.  The active ingredient in Garlon is triclopyr.  It is a more expensive chemical.  Crossbow is lower concentration of triclopyr with 2, 4-D mixed in to make it cheaper, but try to keep it effective.  Most of the cost is labor, so I'd rather use a more effective chemical so there is no labor to go back through!

Round-up is best applied to the leaves at 1-2%.  the way it works is as the leaf is making sugar, RoundUp "tricks" the plant into adding the herbicide into the sugar it is making.  That is why it is so effective at getting all through the plant.