a quiet scroll saw/band saw for my apartment?
hi there. i would like to start doing a bit of wood work in my apartment without making too much noise and disturbing the neighbors. particularly, i would like to get a table scroll saw or table band saw that would not make to much noise for my living situation. i have neighbors above me, next door and across the hall. noise will definitely, be a big issue. i do realize these machines do make some noise, but also that some or quieter than others. also, that i am not the only person who has dealt with this issue.

can anyone recommend a table scroll saw or table band saw that might be quiet enough for me to use? a make and model would be wonderful. thank you for any and all effort.
most (not all) of these saws are quiet............ until you start wood cutting in them. 

that you are going to find to be the issue IMO 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Dust should be another concern, which can be somewhat managed by dust collection or a vacuum, which generates even more noise.

Here is a table posted in another forum a while back with decibel levels for different wood shop machines. Noise levels were taken under load.

Link

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find a solution....
Any power tool will likely make noise unacceptable in an apartment environment.  If you are committed to power tools, find a friend with a garage where he/she would let you store and use the saw.  Agree with the prior comment about dust collection, especially on a bandsaw. Otherwise, its handtools for the apartment dweller.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
A scroll saw is probably the quietest of the bunch you mention.  You might consider mounting it on a base that reduces vibration.  This would help with the downstairs neighbors.  I'd try and check with various sources (Woodcraft, Rockler, or whatever vendor you have close to you) to see how much noise they actually make.  Where you operate it will make a difference as to how much noise gets transmitted to the neighbors.  Do you have an outside space like a deck or balcony? Is there an option for a garage away from living areas that you could use?  Is there a utility room or storage space away from living areas that you could use?

Time of day when you use it will make a difference to the neighbors too.  Obviously stay away from sleeping hours and not too early on weekends.  

Generally, if there is a will, there is a way.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
You might be able to dampen some of the noise by minimizing vibration from the scroll saw. One possible method would be to place the saw on a couple of thick towels or carpet squares. Or, if the table saw is mounted on a table, place the legs on some thick carpeting or towels. Is there a way you could work in a large closet to dampen some of the sound? Just some thoughts.
You didn't mention what you're going to be cutting.

As far as I know you're not going to be able to use any powered saw without making a good bit of noise and when the blade meets the wood, the noise will be multiplied several times. A scroll saw is a tedious slow cutter- the bandsaw a fast cutter. One is going to frustrate you and the other (bandsaw) will please you, depending on what thickness wood you are cutting and how much you intend to cut.

The quietest and cleanest way is hand sawing.

A coping saw or bow saw and a regular hand saw.

Not the answer you are looking for I bet.

[Image: dog%20of%20the%20forest%20flickr%20bow%2...1314675283]
You could try table mounting a jig saw.  A decent one will cut well and the speed can be controlled on most to reduce the noise.
thanks for the tip.
thanks and that was very useful as with comparison of the scroll saw and band saw. scroll saw it is...