safety shield earned it's keep today
I wear a loggers helmet with the screen  and safety glasses for  dust when I turn. I probably look ridiculous wearing the helmet but I don't care. It fits me well and is comfy. I have a 3M dust mask that fits under the screen nicely for when i'm sanding. I was sanding a bowl and a knot let loose and came off the screen over my right eye. About an inch and a half knot. Wake up call. Glad for the screen. That would have hurt.

Can't be too safe.
Can we call you knothead now?

Glad you weren't hurt.
Glad to know you were not hurt and that you wear a safety shield,that was a little close to your eye.I never turn anything without my safety shield on,not even a pen.I only have sight in one eye and want to keep it.So turning or sanding I wear my shield and wear a dust mask.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(07-14-2017, 06:16 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Glad to know you were not hurt and that you wear a safety shield,that was a little close to your eye.I never turn anything without my safety shield on,not even a pen.I only have sight in one eye and want to keep it.So turning or sanding I wear my shield and wear a dust mask.

Mel

I do the same mask/shield when turning/sanding. Sometimes I lose the shield when finishing - depends upon the size of the piece.
Knot head..... I like that. Glad you were not hurt. From experience, I seldom turn any utility piece that has a knot in it. It is always a weak point. If I do leave it in, I make sure it is tight, either by looking at the wood to check first, or knowing that if I see any voids around it, I know that it needs to be glued in place before I do any turning. One reason to secure it first is that it always vanishes in the shavings and can never be found again. The other is because it can go flying off and hit you. Do remember to stand out of the line of fire too... 

Like Grandma used to say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Or maybe for us turners, an ounce of prevention keeps us out of the emergency room and doesn't cut into our lathe up grade fund...

robo hippy
(07-14-2017, 12:11 PM)robo hippy Wrote: Knot head..... I like that. Glad you were not hurt. From experience, I seldom turn any utility piece that has a knot in it. It is always a weak point. If I do leave it in, I make sure it is tight, either by looking at the wood to check first, or knowing that if I see any voids around it, I know that it needs to be glued in place before I do any turning. One reason to secure it first is that it always vanishes in the shavings and can never be found again. The other is because it can go flying off and hit you. Do remember to stand out of the line of fire too... 

Like Grandma used to say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Or maybe for us turners, an ounce of prevention keeps us out of the emergency room and doesn't cut into our lathe up grade fund...

robo hippy

I run water-thin CA around all knots I intend to leave, early and often.  If there's a visible, or tangible gap, medium CA spans it.  Let cure for extra time before you spin up, or plan on having the hair on your arm feel weird all day.  Best if both sides are available, is to tape outside, flow by gravity from inside, and STILL wait.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.