Bose Headphones as ear protection
(07-17-2017, 08:17 AM)That\s a really great find!  Thanks for that!  The beauty of these for me is that they knock down machine noise:  consistent whines, drones, hums.  Inconsistent noise, such as the dog whining or the neighbor trying to get my attention actually sails right through.  This is much different from me wearing muffs+plugs and having my wife scream me from 6' away and I can't hear her.Time weighting:  yeah, makes perfect sense.  When (if, please God) I ever get around to the new workbench project, that will be a symphony of stock prep so I'll stick some earplugs under the headphones.  The cherry on top is because it knocks down so much of the workshop 'road noise', I can have the music volume lower than normal. Wrote: jppiersonI did a quick search for noise attenation of active noise reduction.  Found this study concerning the Bose Quiet Comfort 2.
Bottom line is that they seem OK for upto 98dBa exposures, anything higher must be time weighted.  So Fishhh4 you probably need to re-evaluate how you are using noise cancellation for you primary hearing protection.

http://www.hearingreview.com/2008/06/att...headphone/

They tested at 85dBa and got a 13 dBa reduction.  They did not test at higher levels so caution consumers as to how much attenuation you get at higher levels.  

Here is the important part, "The amount of NR provided by this technology is sufficient to allow for extended exposure to noise levels up to approximately 98 dBA to remain within a safe listening level, providing the attenuation does not vary in higher levels of noise. Environments such as an average office or home (75 dBA), a machine shop (85-95 dBA), or average street noise (70-85 dBA) would be suitable for using this hearing protection system without limiting exposure.13 Louder environments, such as inside of a subway car (95-105 dBA), use of a power mower (105-115 dBA), or exposure to loud street noise (90-110 dBA),13 would require limited time exposure when using this device as a noise reductor."
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

(07-16-2017, 06:19 PM)gMike Wrote: Interesting.  Never thought about noise cancelling headphones for shop use.  Good idea.  They don't give those headphones away ($$$) but with as little hearing as I have left it might be cheap hearing protection.

Mike, if you don't care about music while working and you live in a cool-in-the-summer climate, they're very expensive just for noise reduction.  What attracts me to them is that I really like music in the shop, and they mare much much lighter and cooler that standard muffs.  The average temperature where I live is a somewhere about the median temperature of the surface of the sun with an average humidity like Venus.  So I hate standard muffs.

The other thing that goes along with this.  I am primarily a handtool guy.  Handtool drives a whole different work philosophy and I end up not milling up all the stock at once, not doing all the rips at once, etc.  Instead, I'm back and forth between the bench and power tools. It makes taking muffs off and on a nagging hassle.  With these, they are light enough to leave on, they bring the music, don't prevent me from hearing someone trying to get my attention and makes all the transitions hassle-free.

After my first post I did some work out in the shop.  I'm more sold that I was.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I have recently tried these from Harbor Freight on a lark:
https://www.harborfreight.com/noise-canc...92851.html
They allow pass thru of regular sounds until they reach 85db (I have to take their word on that as I do not have a meter) above which the offending dbs are instantly cut off...
So far have worked quite well, also use them while cutting the lawn...
(07-16-2017, 07:53 PM)Steve N Wrote: Anyone looking for a really good earmuff type These 3M rock at a NRR of 30, and 21 bux I have a lot of guys in the hard hat mounted version of this at work, and get nothing but "thank you" from those guys. There is another with a noise canx side, but NRR is only 27. I would suggest the 30 every day.

Plus if you are playing music in them, and people can't get your attention, in reality you would do just as good with nothing listening to a stereo, gonna be deaf either way
Laugh  
Laugh  
Laugh

I picked up a pair of these at the flea market a few weeks ago, they are indeed excellent, and reasonably priced new (paid $2 for mine at the market
Smile ).
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Are you a "professional" woodworker. I bet I could find an OSHA inspector that would just LOVE to write you a citation.
Laugh
(07-17-2017, 12:47 PM)Admiral Wrote: I picked up a pair of these at the flea market a few weeks ago, they are indeed excellent, and reasonably priced new (paid $2 for mine at the market
Smile ).

You could flip quite a few pairs of them at that price
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
SensGard NRR 31 Hearing Protectors for about $30, from Lee Valley.

Your ears will thank you for the investment.

Simon
(07-16-2017, 06:18 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: I've worn a pair of these in my shop connected to my MP3. Works great, unless someone wants to get my attention.
Wink

I do the same (have a pair of Sony NC). I also use them when mowing and/or running the weed eater.
I have a set of "noise isolation", reference grade, earphones.  They fit snugly in the ear and seem to block all outside sound.  

They are reference grade so it reproduces sound exactly as recorded without the popular over-boost of the bass.  Voice reproduction is exceptional, but the lack of an over-boosted bass may disappoint.

The down sides are:

1.  They are not quite comfortable in the ear, and they fit deep in the ear canal.  I use the silicon earpieces; the foam ones may be more comfortable.
2.  No over-boost of the bass.
3.  Ghastly expensive.

I got mine from Amazon.com for about $300.00.  I have a pair of Beats over the ear phones which is also noise isolating (not noise cancelling) but they are overly warm to use in the summer.  I prefer the in the ear for warm weather.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004CXBJ6A/?ta...48gjz964_b

The Beats work with my cell phone; the Etymotic does not.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I bought bose 35 for airplane travel & listening to books. They are blue tooth & noise reduction. Wanted to keep listening to the book so used them in shop and was surprised at the nr. Very comfortable so now use them in the shop most of the time. But pretty expensive.
jerry