garage door opener recommendation
All my doors are adjusted right but that is what I did for a couple of years.
I have a wooden 2 car garage door with torsion springs. When one spring broke, I could still open the door because the previous HO had installed a 3/4 hp opener. When I replaced both springs, and had a professional installer install/adjust them, I bought a 1/2hp replacement.
(07-17-2017, 02:29 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: Screw drive is the worst style.....

This seems to be a popular mantra around here.  

The openers in my current home are Genie screw drives and they were installed in 1975. I've lived in the house for about 10 years and I grease them every 5 years.  I did have to retrofit the remote functionality on these as they were so old that replacement remotes weren't available, but that's not a function of the screw drive.

They look like this:

[Image: product-image_screw-drive_v03b.png]

The home I had before was much the same.  Genie screw drive.  Lived there 11 years. Greased the screw avery 5 years, no problems.

Yea, they aren't the quietest things in the world, but it's the garage.

YMMV
chris
circuit board in my Genie went bad, and Genie told me I was outta luck even though it should have been under warranty. Warranty?  Hahahaha. That's why I got the Chamberlain.
My Genie died after 15 years, called them up and asked them to replace it.  Genie, told me if I could show proof of purchase they would honor the then lifetime warranty.  This was the time I kept everything, found the HD receipt and sent it in.  New Motor and housing arrived in 2 Days. Otherwise, the springs go out more than the opener.  It is screw drive, but it isn't below the bedroom. So, noise is not a big issue. Dan
The other issue with screw drive is that they drip grease in the summer on your car and in winter they bog down due to the grease getting cold. Virtually impossible to get a grease that works in 115* temps as well as in -20... But screw drives are the cheapest and easiest install hence they are popular. Also FYI the lead screw in them is 1/2" 3 start acme.
I have the 8500 jackshaft chamberlain openers on my 14x14 new shed's doors. I have the internet gateway contolling some outdoor lights too. Myq will list modules it will work with. Its proprietary so you will not be adding other brand modules to it.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Many thanks to all for your input.  I went with a belt drive 3/4 HP LiftMaster . Actually two - decided to do the second door  and replace the 31+ YO unit on it as well.  Decision based on input here plus that of my brother who has two similar units, as well as a friend with one.  Also went with professional installation which was very well done.  In the past I might have done the install myself, but, as we get older, some things just aren't fun anymore.
I chose Dura-Bilt Nylon Garage Door Roller https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-door-rollers/. After reading thru a few of the negative reviews, I decided to test each roller, made sure it spun smoothly and were no defects. All rollers spun, no issues. Family moved into the house back in 98'-99', and I don't believe the garage door rollers were ever replaced. Wouldn't surprise me if they were original. The old rollers were steel, VERY worn, bearings completly shot, and made a LOT of noise.

Before replacing the rollers, I made sure to head over to Youtube, and watch a few how-to-replace garage door rollers. I followed the directions given in the video, and replaced all 10 rollers with ease. Took me probably close to 20 min. The top rollers gave me a little trouble, having to be on a ladder and having to twist the rail to remove roller.

Once all new Nylon rollers were replaced, the difference in noise was amazing. It might not be as drastic for a lot of people, but the condition of the old steel rollers and how much noise they made, you could tell right away how quiet these Nylon rollers were.
When it comes time to replace my garage door openers I will get one that uses a rechargable battery.  That way when the power goes out I will still be able to open and close the garage door automatically.  There is not much difference in cost.  The installation is the same.  The battery gets charged automatically.  My guess is that the battery has be be replaced eventually.  But still, it makes sense to me.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.