Hand planing end grain
I am in the process of making some end grain cutting boards.  I am using Hard Maple, Cherry and Walnut, and am getting ready to do the final glue up.  Once dried, I need to flatten the surface, and I usually do this with a sander.  However, I recently purchased a LV LA Jack Plane, so I am thinking this is a great option for surfacing the board.  Is there anything specific I should look for, or be doing?, and will this plane do the job?  The cutting boards are 15" X 15".

Scott
Yes, the plan e will do the job, but it's not an easy task. Two keys: (1) a VERY sharp iron, and (2) light cuts. You might find that skewing there plane helps too.
(07-19-2017, 09:16 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: Yes, the plan e will do the job, but it's not an easy task. Two keys: (1) a VERY sharp iron, and (2) light cuts. You might find that skewing there plane helps too.

And an occasional splash of denatured alcohol on the end grain.  Don't go nuts with it though.  Just a quick wipe down.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Finish your plane stroke before the back edge or else have a sacrificial board against that face to avoid spelching, the tear-out on the back edge. 

I agree with very sharp and skewing the stroke to get a very low angle on the light cut.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(07-19-2017, 10:08 AM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Finish your plane stroke before the back edge or else have a sacrificial board against that face to avoid spelching, the tear-out on the back edge. 

I agree with very sharp and skewing the stroke to get a very low angle on the light cut.

Yes this, also hopeful is that you did a proper glue up, and aren't about to attack a bunch of high pieces. The closer to dead flat you start here, the happier you are gonna be. I like the blended part where I run this through the wide belt sander
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW