Three Chisels
Today at the Fleamaket, I fell off the wagon. I am a weak man, easy tempted by rusty tools. I swore I wasn't going to rehab anymore chisels.  But there was these three forlorn Shamrocks laying in the tool box, a 1/4", a 3/4" and a 1", for only $10.  For those who have not sunk to my depth, Shamrock was the brand used by Wm. Marple & Sons . So labeled they would be pre-'62. The blades are properly made, light enough for balance with thin lands all the way up to the neck for corner work. The handles are the red and yellow plastic "Splitproof". If you were to replace them with a London pattern octagon wood handle, they would be a very good chisel. See, there I go again.

I ,also picked up a Butterfield # 2 tap handle. And passed on a Ridgid 1/2" pipe die and ratchet for $35,a Rapier small plow plane in the box for $45 and a short knob  Stanley #6C for $40.
A man of foolish pursuits
I admire your restraint. I could not have left the Rapier there.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
So, how deep did you need to dig to find the Shamrocks?.

This is like me swearing off donuts, and going to the bakery for the delicious smells. I read that we get fat just smelling good food.
London pattern handles are (almost) a snap to turn, and after 1 or 2, you'll be a pro! Then you'll be hunting out more Shamrock's!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
You'll find travelling in Canada rather pleasant, we have Tim Hortons , a donut/coffee chain on almost every corner.

For fleamarkets, a trick is to dig in toolboxes and boxes, even to carry a flashlight for these searches , but these were on the top tray.

Usefulness and quality , not rarity, governs my rust hunting. The Rapier small plow plane is the one tool Rapier made that was considered good .I think , if my memory serves me right, questionable at my age, the Rapier is a copy of a Preston?? I have a #45 and LV does make a small plow plane. About the #6C,I have both a Record and an Anchor #6C. But I do have regrets about leaving the Ridgid ratchet and pipe die behind, when I lengthen the tongue on our travel trailer I'll have some propane lines to reroute. I just had twenty on me.

I don't know about you, but I keep a mental list of tools that would be nice to find. More chisels projects were certainly not on that list. With the number of chisels in that box under the bench, some E.A.Bergs , I should be able do a production run.
A man of foolish pursuits
I wouldn't have twitched one cheek on a low knob 6 for that kind of money.

Ok, I would have picked it up and fondled it a little but that's it.

carl
(07-24-2017, 09:28 AM)DaveParkis Wrote: I admire your restraint. I could not have left the Rapier there.

was thinking the exact same thing about the 6c
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.