Rust stain on vinyl suding
Any ideas on how to remove rust stains from vinyl siding? High iron water from a sprinkler is causing it

Also on a white aluminum downspout

Acids remove rust stains. I'd look at something like LimeAway or CLR. Muriatic acid works on removing rust stains in pools.
CLR says it should be diluted for vinyl siding and washed off within 2 minutes.   They say after 5 minutes it starts to etch the surface of the siding.   Roly
(07-25-2017, 11:23 AM)goaliedad Wrote: Any ideas on how to remove rust stains from vinyl siding?  High iron water from a sprinkler is causing it

Also on a white aluminum downspout

odd, you should mention that.  I'm in the process of doing that now.  Over the years have fought trying to clean the siding and not had luck.  I found something that works great, Lime-o-sol by The Works.  Put on gloves, get a old washcloth.  Spray it on, wait for a minute, rub it out with the cloth, hose off the vinyl.  Works great, I was amazed, I've been fighting with this for awhile.  It works better as the cloth gets soaked.  On a few really bad spots I had to do it a couple of times.  

Now for the bad news, don't know about your area, but I can't find it around here anymore.  I had a little left, used it and ordered some on line, that stuff is hard to find.  It works so well, I'm willing to pay the price to have it shipped.

I tried limeAway, but it doesn't work well at all.  I did a test on two sections.  One with LimeAway.  Tried it, worked maybe a little, but 95% was still there.  Even let it sit for awhile, tried multiple times on the same section.  Sprayed a little LimeOSol and it took it right off.  Didn't see any problems with the vinyl sections where I used it.  Wear eye protection, that stuff started burning my hands when I wasn't wearing gloves.  I'd hate to see what it would do to your eyes.

the acids in LimeOSol and LimeAway are different.
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
Out of curiosity, how to your plumbing fixtures look inside?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

This is at a house I did some trim painting at. She said they have a filter for the house- no complaints there.
I talked to a guy that sells siding. He suggested Rust Off.
I will look for LimeOSol too

Oxalic acid ( wood bleach ) mixed in hot water, will do the job, faster than typing about it.
(07-27-2017, 03:45 PM)Pirate3 Wrote: Oxalic acid ( wood bleach ) mixed in hot water, will do the job, faster than typing about it.

Ditto. Works great on rust.
(07-27-2017, 03:45 PM)Pirate3 Wrote: Oxalic acid ( wood bleach ) mixed in hot water, will do the job, faster than typing about it.

limeosol in a spray bottle
Mixture
Chemical Name CAS No. Weight-%
oxalic acid 144-62-7 4 - 8*
glycollic acid 79-14-1 1 - 5*
mark
Ignorance is bliss -- I'm very, very happy
I passed on the lime-o-sol suggestion. If I were doing it I would try oxialic acid, but for this person the ready to spray stuff sounds best. Thanks all