Stick out like a...
"When last I looked, Bandit was the designer of this project....not Dayle.."

Ok, I was just going to take a few clamps off today....
Winkgrin Riiight...

Next thing I know, I had added the Walnut strips, and the knobs to Drawer #4
Rolleyes  

And it's back in the clamps..just different ones...
Then I cleaned up drawer #2's walnut pieces, and put that drawer away..

Which left Drawer #3 with those naked dovetails
Raised

Did a little backsaw work, then some chisels, a BIG rasp, and a slick....once the "bed" for the strip was presentable, a good coat of Elmer's, and a few small nails.   then repeat on the other end.   I can drive the nails out of sight, later....

Which left the task of hauling a 1 x 8 x 8' plank down the steps to the shop....I have enough trouble, just getting ME down those steps...slammed the plank onto the bench, marked for a couple 24-1/4" long cuts...and used a cordless saw..
Winkgrin   

First one was quite right.....second one was a bit better.   I riipped a little over an inch off the worse of the two edges..

Does have a bit of "character"?
Winkgrin   The first cut off will wind up being the drawer's back.  Already have two sides cut to size. 

Maybe tomorrow, I can get the last drawer almost done?
Rolleyes    Waiting on the next Pay Period, to get a can of Amber Shellac....I think it would bring out the grain a bit better than BLO.
Confused

Stay tuned, almost done...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that

Cool 

24" boards have some nail stain maybe?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Or...spalt?
Confused
Could be. I milled a lot of lumber back in the day (80's) and saw a lot of metal stain in trees, which was black/blue in color.
Having trouble viewing though, as I had surgery on an eye  the 9th. That eye is fighting the other eye now.
Sad
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-21-2017, 11:26 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Could be. I milled a lot of lumber back in the day (80's) and saw a lot of metal stain in trees, which was black/blue in color.
Having trouble viewing though, as I had surgery on an eye  the 9th. That eye is fighting the other eye now.
Sad

Re-cut the drawer's sides, the ones I had laid out...were way too thick....by about a 1/4"
No
Tried a different handsaw today..

An Atkins 7ppi skew back....now, IF I can get the operator to follow a straight line..
Rolleyes 

Squared the ends.   Laid out some pins..

Then some chisels....going to be a long day of chopping..

Just to get the pins on both ends of the drawer front done..

Then used those pins to lay out for the tails....
stay tuned, BRB...
(08-22-2017, 03:36 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Re-cut the drawer's sides, the ones I had laid out...were way too thick....by about a 1/4"
No
Tried a different handsaw today..

An Atkins 7ppi skew back....now, IF I can get the operator to follow a straight line..
Rolleyes 

Squared the ends.   Laid out some pins..

Then some chisels....going to be a long day of chopping..

Just to get the pins on both ends of the drawer front done..

Then used those pins to lay out for the tails....
stay tuned, BRB...
Ok....about those tails..

Stand the drawer front onto the drawer sides, making sure I had marked which part when where, and how it went there. SHARP pencil to mark the locations of the pins.   Square to mark where to stop the cuts, and make a knife line.  Bandsaw to remove most of the waste, by cutting on the waste side of the lines.   And a bit extra cuts...the less I have to chop out, the better things go..

On the first Dry Fit, I didn't drive the parts all the way "home"
Cool

On the second dry fit....

Joints were tight enough, it could stand there, on it's own.   Nothing holding it up.
Winkgrin  

Late Lunch, maybe later, I can give this 92 yr old plane  a bit of work?
Confused

I need grooves ploughed for the drawer's bottom panel.  Since this IS the last drawer, I can switch the plane over to do 3/4" wide dados, to house the back of the drawer...Means installing the
Upset spurs, again....

Stay tuned....I may get something done today..
Rolleyes
(08-22-2017, 03:49 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Ok....about those tails..

Stand the drawer front onto the drawer sides, making sure I had marked which part when where, and how it went there. SHARP pencil to mark the locations of the pins.   Square to mark where to stop the cuts, and make a knife line.  Bandsaw to remove most of the waste, by cutting on the waste side of the lines.   And a bit extra cuts...the less I have to chop out, the better things go..

On the first Dry Fit, I didn't drive the parts all the way "home"
Cool

On the second dry fit....

Joints were tight enough, it could stand there, on it's own.   Nothing holding it up.
Winkgrin  

Late Lunch, maybe later, I can give this 92 yr old plane  a bit of work?
Confused

I need grooves ploughed for the drawer's bottom panel.  Since this IS the last drawer, I can switch the plane over to do 3/4" wide dados, to house the back of the drawer...Means installing the
Upset spurs, again....

Stay tuned....I may get something done today..
Rolleyes
Grooves were milled.

Changed out the #12 cutter for a #18-1/2 cutter....lowered the spurs
Upset 

Made a couple of these things..

Ripped a board for the back..

Cut a plywood panel for the drawer bottom, and added the clamps and glue..

And called it a night.   Have to wait on the glue to dry, anyway.  Maybe tomorrow, I can apply the Walnut strips to cover up those "naked" dovetails?   I have 2 knobs to install.    Then a few days of smoothing everything out, and getting ready for a coat of Amber Shellac.

Stay tuned....
Why cover the dovetails
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-23-2017, 10:43 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Why cover the dovetails

Read Mr. Dayle's reply above....
(08-23-2017, 10:55 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Read Mr. Dayle's reply above....

Got the last drawer completed today
Winkgrin

Maybe a PIP?   All that is left to do is the finishing stuff..

Need to sand things down to about 220 grit..

And get into all the nooks and crannies..
Winkgrin 

Then time for the Amber Shellac to get brushed on. 

Build part is done, thanks for following along
Big Grin