Electrical Woodburning On a Bowl
I've seen the videos where wood is wet with salt water and then electrodes + electricity are applied and the wood has fractal patterns burnt into it. Is there a reason this wouldn't work with a bowl? I would experiment with scrap wood worst. Im thinking put the electrodes on opposite sides of the bowl and the electricity -should- move in both directions.
I've seen electrical discharge fractile patterns on steel plates, targets for test fire of "star wars" test capacitors. Friend was one of their engineers (their coils/capacitors were the size of buildings.  You won't be able to do anything with battery DC 12V in garage or with household AC (IMO).  Might be able to get some pattern ( but real small area) with automotive coil discharge.  Sounds dangerous and I personally would not try.   You don't want to fry the electronics of your lathe or burn or kill yourself.   Could it be done safely, possibly.  I will let the EE guys advise further.
Ray
I'm familiar with the physics behind electrical woodburning and why it works. I'm well aware of the dangers of it and I'm confident I could do this with a reasonable safety margin. I'm not proposing to try and use the electronics on my lathe for this, nor would I do it while the piece is mounted on the lathe.
Plenty of information here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...od+burning

Be careful on You Tube. Lot's of idiots!
I have watched about 40 youtube videos on it and did several posts on it.  I am thinking now with everyones help I am staying away from it since people are still getting killed using it.  There is much more to it than you are saying and the results are either nice or deadly. 

I really really wanted to do it with the guys and now I will not touch it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It does work on a bowl but pretty much everyone is doing it. Conestoga works offers a machine they insist is very safe for around 300 bucks.
Steve K

I made one but haven't used it much.  I made mine with clamps instead of probes and I think that is my largest problem.  I now have some heavy copper rod but have been lazy.

Look for neon transformers not microwave.  Mine is a 12,000 v, 30miliamp (0.03 amp).  Most microwaves are .5 amp or more; the amps are the most deadly.

The neon transformers go for about $60.  The link below show using it with a variac, another $60-70.  You will want a foot pedal that only supplies current when depressed..  about $20.  I still need to get one of those before I try it again.
You will also need a good thick rubber mat, another $15.    About $160 for the full setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6cjp0yvAiY

The one mentioned before does not come with a variac or mat to my knowledge (the $300 one).

Then neon I have came all wired, just attach your "probe" to the wires.

My clamps are probably coated with something.  Sometimes it worked well, other times not much.  It may be also that I had too much or too little water, both of which will stop the burning.

There have been two deaths reported but they MAY have been with microwave and one was reported as late at night and possibly with alcohol involved.
There are videos on youtube of people doing it on turnings. I thought real hard about trying but decided against it for two reasons.

1) I'm not sure the effect would transfer through the glue lines on my work. Not a deal breaker just something I had to consider.

2) Most importantly my wife said no way in #$%@ after she researched it a little bit
Crazy Shes turning into quite the gourd carver and I was hoping we could use it on her projects also. She's not having any of that.
Tim Yoder had it done on one of his videos.  Safety wise water and high voltage electricity don't mix well.  Just because someone gets away with doing something doesn't mean it was actually safe to do.  I'd look for someone who does it professionally and have it done rather than try it myself at home.
AAW has banned this procedure after a recent club member death.

You can read more here ;

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/w...ning%20ban