Bathroom vanity question
Hello -

I have been asked to build a vanity for my sister's bathroom.  Her plans are to have the walls tiled with subway style tile.  The vanity is to be placed in a corner and will be painted white.
My question is:  should the tile be set first and I butt the vanity up to it - or - should the vanity be placed first and the tile set up to the sides of the vanity?

Thank you in advance.

Don
I'd do the tile first.

Reason... when that vanity is replaced with another.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Tile first
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Opposing opinion.... why should this be approached any differently than new construction (which in my experience is 'vanity first')?  If I'm replacing a vanity, the last thing I want to do is discover I have to replace some sheetrock behind it because I destroyed it removing tile that didn't need to be there to begin with.
If the tile is done first, that kinda prevents any different backsplash from being installed. Also, if the vanity is ever replaced, and is shorter/more narrow, there will be a section of the tile exposed and be different.

If the vanity is placed first and the tile/backsplash done after and the vanity is replaced----the same situation applies.

Point being there ultimately is no difference down the road, so seems prudent to do the install which ever way makes for the best project completion. Example, the tile could be done while you build the vanity, shortening the length of completion. Or, if a different backsplash is desired, the vanity would need to be installed first.
Thank you for your responses.  They were very helpful.

Don
(07-30-2017, 07:38 AM)KC Wrote: Opposing opinion.... why should this be approached any differently than new construction (which in my experience is 'vanity first')?  If I'm replacing a vanity, the last thing I want to do is discover I have to replace some sheetrock behind it because I destroyed it removing tile that didn't need to be there to begin with.

New construction does it that way for cost. They don't care about the next guy replacing the vanity. <--- You should be fully aware of that with all of the new construction problems you have found with your house.

As for replacing sheetrock that you destroyed by removing tile when replacing a vanity makes no sense.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

How long will the vanity last?

Probably 2+ decades I would guess.

When time to replace, may be time to remodel the bathroom
with all the latest gadgets and trends anyway.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Hi Don, I would tile first and then butt the vanity up to it; otherwise, later down the line if your sister wants to replace the vanity, she will need to replace all the tiling, too. I agree that the tiling may be damaged when you replace the vanity but, as long as you're extra-careful, there shouldn't be a problem. After all, you don't want to have to retile the whole splashback at a later date just because you want to replace the vanity. After all, chances are you won't be able to get hold of the original tiles you used. Buyers may see it as a job, too.

Prorefub.co.uk