Cedar Outdoors: Finish or Not?
Building plant holders for daughter's deck using cedar..  Should I just leave them unfinished to go gray or is there some simple finish that will help them hold their reddish color?  It's a very nice deck; large, multi level, etc. and very well maintained, and it would be nice if the plant holders held their tint.

Note:  I enjoy building things but I don't care for applying finish.  So I'm looking for something simple.  Hopefully that can be easily applied and will last for a year or two.  After that, it'll be up to her husband.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks.

R.
I would consider Flood CWF-UV.  Comes in clear as well as several shades.  Won't chip or peel; clean and reapply when it fades. 

John
Thank you for the info. I'm not familiar with Flood CWF-UV. Where might I find it?
Gotta a Home Depot or Lowes nearby?  Even if they don't stock it you can order it with free in-store pick-up.  

John
This does not answer your question directly, but is related to how well any finish will hold up.
You didn't say how you planned to construct your planter boxes. Based on experience, I suggest that you NOT build them to hold the soil and plants directly. Constant contact with moist soil will accelerate saturation and rot of the wood; even cedar. I suggest that you build them to hold regular plant pots using an open grid bottom so that water can drain through and air can circulate keeping the wood dry. Also, I've found that treated fence boards provide material almost ideal for this kind of construction. It will hold up a very long time and can be stained with almost anything.
Having said all that, I've had good service from TWP stains on exterior work.
I didn't make it clear: Wooden holders will conceal large clay pots and will not be exposed to soil. I put holes in the bottom for drainage.

I've decided to let son-in-law take care of the wood treatment. He's pretty good at that sort of thing.

R.