appliance modification: stacking my dryer
I've done some crazy stuff but even I wouldn't try this. If I were going to, I'd get a wiring harness, or wiring harnesses and use those to make the connections.
A bunch of people think this is a crazy idea. I'm becoming convinced.
If it's just wires that need to be extended, I don't see any reason not to do it, as long as connections are done properly, and the mounting is secured.
Be sure to make it easy to get the washer out for repairs.
(07-30-2017, 09:48 AM)colibas Wrote: Or are these wires more complicated than I think?

Thanks,
Sean

not just the wires, the whole plan is way too complicated. i thought drying clothes was a pretty simple,easy process.
but i could be wrong
whats the purpose of stacking?
The idea is to gain storage space. We have limited closets but 9.5' ceilings. So I'm building shelves for the area where the dryer was and getting a dryer to stack onto the washer.
With apologies to Rube Goldberg:

Attach flexible shafts to the rotary knobs:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3T...i=16413671

Get a kick stool for the height you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Cramer-1002-00-Ro...B001DIBX8G

And straight shafts for the push/pull controls..

Or get a dwarf, his wife and sharp knife...

[Image: rubegoldberg_photo_gal_4153_photo_40945874_lr.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
really, just put stepper motors on the knobs, hook it up to the internet and have the first smart phone controlled dryer.  A few steps in the process omitted for clarity
hilarious. As it happens, my daughter just finished a camp where they made a Rube Goldberg machine. Maybe I'll ask her to help me.
(08-06-2017, 07:48 PM)colibas Wrote: The idea is to gain storage space. We have limited closets but 9.5' ceilings. So I'm building shelves for the area where the dryer was and getting a dryer to stack onto the washer.

Why not just put shelves above the washer and dryer?
I've done a number of Rube jobs, that worked fine. 
If the dryer just has a knob to turn for drying time, and a button to push to start, like some dryers, how about this.
Make some wood "pillow blocks" to hold wood dowels. Have one dowel set to push the button, and the other to turn the timer knob. Make a wood knob for the timer dowel.
Some timer knobs have a raised rib on the face to help turning. The dowel could be notched at the end to fit over the rib. (Back in 1979 I notched the end of an old pool cue to turn the channel selector knob on a tv, so I could change channels from the couch, while recovering from 5 broken ribs and a ruptured spleen.)
If the rear panel is angled up, you may be able to raise up the back to get a better angle for the dowels to work better.
You could even mount the pillow blocks and dowels on a piece of plywood, and lay it on a piece of nonskid material on top of dryer, so you wouldn't even have to drill holes in the dryer. Keep's getting better and better!
Seems like a fun, easy Rube, that would work.
If you were local, I would lend a hand.

How about a thread on successful Rubes?