appliance modification: stacking my dryer
Like the title says, I want to stack my dryer over my washer, and I don't really have the funds to replace the dryer with a stackable one. (Also, Sears has, apparently, no way to tell me which dryer will stack on my washer, or which kit to use.) My problem is that the control panel is on top and at the back of the dryer.

What do you think of this solution: remove the control panel and extend each of the 15 wires about 6', so I can mount the panel in a convenient place, like the wall. 

If all goes well with adding the lengths of wire, do you think the control panel will still work? Or are these wires more complicated than I think?

Thanks,
Sean
Does anyone else hear banjo music?

I'd use a ladder even though I don't have a good track record with ladders.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

You're not wrong about the banjo. I may end up on the news.
(07-30-2017, 09:48 AM)colibas Wrote: ...I don't really have the funds to replace the dryer with a stackable one...

Sell your dryer and buy a stackable one with the proceeds.
Wood is good. 
Presuming the dryer is a front loader (I've never seen a top load dryer, but they may be out there), and this may sound silly, but if you really want an easy way to do this just mount it upside down over the washer and learn to read the control panel upside down.  I can't think of anything in a dryer that requires "normal" gravity.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-30-2017, 11:53 AM)Admiral Wrote: Presuming the dryer is a front loader (I've never seen a top load dryer, but they may be out there), and this may sound silly, but if you really want an easy way to do this just mount it upside down over the washer and learn to read the control panel upside down.  I can't think of anything in a dryer that requires "normal" gravity.

A front loader spins on a bearing which is basically a piece of crescent shaped plastic under the front lip of the drum. The drum would just be hanging from the belt if it were upside down.

I kind of like the idea of trading it in on an over-under. I'll betcha it could be done on craigslist. I traded a 50" zero turn mower plus 400 cash for a 50" riding mower. Took the 400 and bought a new Stihl chainsaw, also on craigslist. It all happened within 48 hours.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Sell both and buy a used set that stack
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Oh, well, I guess it WAS a silly idea. 
Slap
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I appreciate everyone's responses. I have thought about various options of selling the current set up and buying used, and maybe that's the best idea. But so far, no one has said that extending the wiring _won't_ work. That plan is free. And it will look cool.
I don't see why extending the wiring would not work assuming it is a electric dryer.     Remember sharp edges  and moving parts when routing the wiring and ground the control panel.   Flexible conduit would probably be the way to go along with covering the open areas of the dryer and control panel.    Roly The looking cool part will depend on your workmanship and safety aspects.