worth it or not-im gloating
a friend for the family bought a new house recently and came with the saw in the garage. hubby steve isnt into woodowrking- hes into performance engines. works for jack roush and builds some pretty wicked engines in his shop.
soooo, he didnt have any use for it and sent me a pic this mornin askin if i was interested in a free saw.
ill be there in 10.
Smile
it appears to have been sitting for a day or 3987. just what little diggin online ive done, it appears the table is original and it doesnt have much wear in it. plugged it in and it fired up, but i shut it off quick as i want to take a look see inside a bit and clean it up. the tag on the front at the pivot says AMF. from what little digging i have done, appaerently that is american manufacturing and foundry(?) and they owned dewalt until 1960 when they sold dewalt to B&D.
so i think that puts this pre 1960?
what i do know is i now have a reason to get off my arse and clean up my shop!

Attached Files Image(s)

Do I get to be the first to say

You SucK

Great find
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
That's gloat worthy.
Wood is good. 
One of the better vintage of RAS ever produced. A lot of users on this board with them.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Is that a MBF or a GWI?  Both are very nice saws.  I don't see a dual voltage switch so I'll guess it's a MBF.  Once you get it cleaned up and set up to cut square/square I think you'll really enjoy using it.  

John
I dont have, or likely would ever want a RAS......but that is sweet!
Yes

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Looks like a MBF in good condition. I had and used one for a number of years, untill I bought a Dewalt 7790 (12") saw.
It's a great saw, but underpowered for heavy cutting. Be sure to use a negative hook blade.
Mine looked to be in the same condition, and I sold it for $75. The market near me is the pits for selling machinery. But is the cherry for buying!
Good luck with it.
Look around for the rest of the table.  Or make a new one.  And put a bigger blade on it (negative hook angle).  And tune it up nice and square. 

That's a real find.  A solid machine from back when they built RAS's that way.  
Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Dewalt MBF, great saw. Back in the day those saws only had HSS blades available, and with the thin kerf they cut 3/4 HP was just fine. It might be a little underpowered with today's carbide blades (even TK) but is still a quite serviceable saw. I have a couple of PDF files that you might want (PM em an email address if you want them). they are written by a Dewalt guru named Roger Hill. They are both a cliff notes version of rebuilding and tuning (killer tuning procedure) a Dewalt RAS. He used a 925 as an example, but almost everything except for some motor stuff applies to the MBF. You'll almost certainly wnant to change the motor bearings (fairly easy and cheap) when you do your clean up. It's easy to date the saw. Check the SN on the motor plate, the first four digits are the year, than the month the motor was manufactured which is probably close to when the saw was manufactured.

Oops, forgot to mention: 9" blades are a little hard to find. Consider using an 8 1/2" one, that also helps a little with the underpowered part. Freud makes their LU91 (negative hook, excellent blade for that saw) in 8 1/2" and it's a reasonably priced blade. Just don't try ripping with it, it sucks at that. You can even get it without that hideous red coating they use on some blades.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It took you 10 mins to get there?
Laugh

Nice looking saw at a great price.  Congrats.