Extrusion, or what to build router table from?
Hey all,

My new house has a 30 x 40 shop, which is a pretty sweet upgrade from the condo garage I just moved away from. Among other things, this means I can build a router table in place of the one I built into my PM66 extension.

So, what to use for the frame? What do you think about extrusion (80/20 or whatever)? Is there a good source for that? Do you think it would vibrate too much? (It would include a dust cabinet and would have ply across the sides). I'm not sure about the cost yet, and it might be cheaper to buy a pre-made RT frame. What do you think? Other options for RT frame materials?

Or should I just build a cabinet from plywood? Would that have enough mass?

Note: I am going to build my own top regardless of how I obtain a base.

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
you are woodworking so why not just use wood?

Your concerns about weight and vibration have been proven hundreds of times to be unfounded
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(07-31-2017, 06:39 AM)JGrout Wrote: you are woodworking so why not just use wood?

Your concerns about weight and vibration have been proven hundreds of times to be unfounded

Cool, thanks. Sounds good to me.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I like misumi extrusions.  They will cut it to length and every part has a custom generated part number in case you ever want to order it again

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/mech/M150...501000000/
I might use extrusion for the fence, but I'd build the cabinet out of plywood and line the router enclosure area with cork flooring underlayment
wow, I must have cnc on the brain, that's what I thought you were building.  I would definitely build most of it out of wood. 

Misumi does have kits for cabinets that look tempting for some things
(07-31-2017, 04:47 PM)JDuke Wrote: I might use extrusion for the fence, but I'd build the cabinet out of plywood and line the router enclosure area with cork flooring underlayment
Thank you for the recommendation. Why the lining? For soundproofing, or for another reason?
Best,
Aram, always learning

Kreg makes nice stands/bench parts that are easy to add a top too. They have great casters too. I just took a 60x28x29 kreg bench and added a two layers of 3/4 mdf and 1/4 hardboard and wrapped that in 1.5 cherry and embedded a Record ww vise. Plan to add a tail vise too.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

The Rockler stands are heavy duty and come in various sizes. Check the reviews. Good prices if you wait for one of the sales.

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-router-table-steel-stand

http://www.rockler.com/rockler-customizable-shop-stand
I re-purposed an old cast iron table saw top and fashioned an aluminum insert.
Wood is good.