Finish for handrails
I am refinishing some handrails for our church.  I was wondering if GFs Hiperformance Poly would be a good finish if I use 4 coats or should I use an oil based urethane?  How long should I let the finish cure before reinstalling them?  I know GF says 21 days but would it be safe after 4 or am I asking for trouble?
High Performance Poly is a very nice product but not all that durable; I wouldn't use it for a handrail.  If you want to use a WB product I'd go with EnduroVar.  Over raw wood three coats should do it.  Over stripped/sanded old work I'd start with a single coat of SealCoat shellac and then two or three coats of EnduroVar.  I would let it cure at least 3 or 4 days before using it; recognize, however, that longer is better. 

If you want a finish that's really easy to apply and offers even more durability, then use Arm-R-Seal or some other wiping varnish.  Arm-R-Seal is perfect for railings; just wipe it on.  But it will take at least 2 days to apply 3 or 4 coats, and you should let it cure at least 3 or 4 days before using it; again, longer is better.  Both products are noticeably harder after a couple of weeks. 

If you start on Sunday after services, the handrails should be ready for gentle use by the following week.  

John
I refinished the table tops at our local Starbucks using 4 coats of Minwax oil based poly.  It stood up to  9 years of daily commercial use.  I would feel comfortable recommending that finish.  

However...

Do not put it back into service until the finish has completely cured.  I waited 7 days.  I've been told it fully cures fully in 200 hours.  I know that is not true as my older pieces have a harder finish than the 200 hour cured stuff.  But 7 days is a reasonable time frame for this finish.

I'm sure that there are other finishes that will do the job.  This is the only one that I know of first hand that can stand up to that kind of abuse (wiping down with a Windex-like cleaner multiple times per day, plus the use by the customers and the originally ceramic plates (later thermoset plastic plates) and knives and forks.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.