sharpening PM-V11
Thumbs Up 
I don't seem to get a wire edge or burr when sharpening my new PM-V11 plane iron. Is this normal for PM-V11? After going through all the grits and stropping, the blade is plenty sharp, but no burr could be felt during the process. I even tried using a guide which is not my usual method. I get a wire edge when I sharpen other steels.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223

No You?... a honing guide? 
No

No answer for you Mike, but I'm interested in what others will have to say.
You Are Correct. It just feels different. I can't feel a burr either with normal sharpening. I can with reshaping.

At first I thought I was making a mistake. Now I just know the pmv11 feels different. It's most definitely sharp, and my fav steel.
What grits are you using?  What are you used to sharpening?  PM-V11 takes a bit longer to develop a burr than O1 steel.  It's not as pronounced as the burr on O1, but there's definitely a burr.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Yes, you should get a burr, although it is smaller than other traditional metals. Keep in mind, it is powdered metal, therefore, the granular structure is smaller.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(07-31-2017, 09:57 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: Yes, you should get a burr, although it is smaller than other traditional metals. Keep in mind, it is powdered metal, therefore, the granular structure is smaller.

Not to mention low malleability, so even thin portions don't bend to a burr, just break away.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-31-2017, 01:58 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: You Are Correct. It just feels different.  I can't feel a burr either with normal sharpening. I can with reshaping.  

At first I thought I was making a mistake.  Now I just know the pmv11 feels different.  It's most definitely sharp, and my fav steel.

and I should clarify to avoid confusion as I typed this fast.

Yes, to me PMV11 feels different.  After regrinding and sharpening hundreds of old irons, PMV11 I couldn't feel the burr at first.  And I kept going and going, thinking I wasn't reaching the edge... 

After using pmv11 much more, I can feel and identify the burr now, that I couldn't when I first tried to sharpen it.
(07-31-2017, 01:31 PM)Mike Brady Wrote:
No You?... a honing guide? 
No

No answer for you Mike, but I'm interested in what others will have to say.

Right, I thought I might have been missing the edge so I got out the clamp-on guide. Results were the same... couldn't detect a burr. Based on all of the responses to my original post, I'm relieved to know that my experience was not unusual.
I sharpen with oil stones. Medium Arkansas followed by black Ark. and strop. Grinder to re-shape. Works well for me. Most of my plane irons and chisels are O1.
Mike B.

One thing is for certain though. Whichever method you use, you can be absolutely certain that you are most assuredly doing it wrong.        Axehandle, 2/24/2016
Do not get in to much of a hurry buddy...  Arlin, 5/18/2022
Apology excepted.  TT. 2/25/20223
What tool are you using the PMV11 blade in?
(08-01-2017, 10:12 AM)rectangle618 Wrote: I sharpen with oil stones.  Medium Arkansas followed by black Ark. and strop.  Grinder to re-shape.  Works well for me.  Most of my plane irons and chisels are O1.

I think the oil stones are why you're not feeling a burr.  With the more exotic tool steels - PM-V11 in particular - it would take a long time to develop any kind of significant burr.  The carbides in the V11 present a real challenge to oil stones.  If you're happy with the results of your sharpening, then I'd just declare victory and move ahead.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill