Extension cord repair
Extension cords are pretty cheap.  Replace the cut one.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Not all of 'em are cheap.  My experience with extension cords in the shop has been that sure as hell, I'll do something to cut a new one way or another in about 2 days.  Don't think I even have one that's not repaired.  
Sad
(08-03-2017, 03:40 PM)Cooler Wrote: Extension cords are pretty cheap.  Replace the cut one.

This statement is totally not true. Price of copper today. Much cheaper to repair. So easy to repair also. Throw away society!!!!
John T.
(08-03-2017, 03:40 PM)Cooler Wrote: Extension cords are pretty cheap.  Replace the cut one.

(08-03-2017, 05:16 PM)KC Wrote: Not all of 'em are cheap.  My experience with extension cords in the shop has been that sure as hell, I'll do something to cut a new one way or another in about 2 days.  Don't think I even have one that's not repaired.  
Sad

I'll say they aren't cheap.

If you have cheap extension cords then they are probably undersized.

I have a 100' 10 ga that I sure would not want to casually replace.  Comparable to this one.

Most of mine are 12 ga, 20 or 25'.  Probably about $25 apiece.  Still not something I would want to replace just for the fun of it.
The black wire is the hot wire---meaning the most unsafe wire to touch/ground. If it were my cord, I'd splice it(as I wrote). Or cut it as the break and make two cords.
(08-02-2017, 02:02 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: How do you get the shrink tubing past the power cord plug?  I would love to be able to fix the number of power cords I have, that have cracked insulation. (Yard sale scores)  One d handle 1/2" drill has so many outer insulation cracks, I taped up the whole cord. I only use that drill 1 or 2 times a year at most, for mixing thinset.
Glad the OSHA Nazis are not allowed in my shop! 

1. Slip heat shrink tubing on 

2. Position sleeves in a staggerred fashion so they don't make a lump.

3. Repair using crimper and sleeves. 

4. Slip heat shrink tubing over repair.

I've fixed many power tool cords like this.  It really works quite well and doesn't hang up if done right.  Heat shrink is very tough.
(08-03-2017, 09:28 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: This statement is totally not true. Price of copper today. Much cheaper to repair. So easy to repair also. Throw away society!!!!
The most I've ever paid for an extension cord is $40.00 or $50.00.
$20-30 is worth repairing....
I never paid more than $50.00 for an extension cord.  If it is cut at one end or the other I would make a repair.  But if it cut in the middle, probably not.
(08-04-2017, 07:22 AM)Cooler Wrote: The most I've ever paid for an extension cord is $40.00 or $50.00.

Wow you consider $40 to $50 cheap for an extension chord. You are out of my league. That is not cheap.
John T.