Would this be a good machine to polish saw plates?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfaCXpQLzj8

Seems pretty quick and easy, huh?
Big Grin
We buy and use polished plates.

Look at the plate and the wood
[Image: IMG_0310.JPG]
I do this with regular buffer and two different wheels and a few rouges.  No need for something that costly but it does look fun.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I was just thinking that if you had a stained and rusted saw plate that came off a 1920ish Disston D-7, it would be a lot easier to toss the plate on the machine and have all the imperfections buffed out in a matter of seconds instead of hand buffing for hours.

Too bad it probably costs an arm and a leg. But I would love to see the end results on an old stained saw blade.
That machine and process are for new metal.  All you would get from using it on an vintage used saw would be a shinier set of pits and stains.  The older saw plates often have machine marks from tapering that would not buff out.  There was someone resurfacing saw plates for some eBay saws that left them relatively new looking, but metal was also removed, with the consequences of that.
Can't see it working that well on old taper ground saw blades
(08-04-2017, 04:39 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: That machine and process are for new metal.  All you would get from using it on an vintage used saw would be a shinier set of pits and stains.  The older saw plates often have machine marks from tapering that would not buff out.  There was someone resurfacing saw plates for some eBay saws that left them relatively new looking, but metal was also removed, with the consequences of that.

+1. Saw plates are what they are, removing metal can be problematic. Elbow grease, some Autosol polish compound, can go a long way.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
There is truth to all of the above.
Depending on the type of wheel used, say a non woven aluminum or silicon abrasives wheel could help clean out the pits in older saws, but the pits will still be there. Just less dominant. Either a hand held or a machine, such as noted above ( expensive dedicated tool ) does the trick. Just the magnetic chuck alone could range from $1000.00 to several thousand by itself. It would take a lot of saw plates to pay for that. A luxury better out sourced.
BontzSawWorks.net
Saw teeth would tear the heck out of that polishing pad, also.