What power tool are you most cautious with?
The sound of my shaper definitely gets my attention.  I have been hurt the most by the box cutter.  It is an evil litter booger.  My worst injury was probably on a drum sander of all things
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
5hp Rockwell shaper with a 5" diameter cutter.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
What power tool are you most cautious with?

Simple answer.......the one that I am currently using. I respect every tool in my shop, and an cautious with EVERYTHING.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

All of them 

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-05-2017, 01:10 PM)Ozzie Copmol Wrote: I think that the table saw is the one to be feared.

find a new hobby, you are going to be injured 

Never fear a machine, respect it and understand it

Fear = misunderstanding and a propensity to do the one thing that will hurt you
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Now that I have a sawstop, the one that get my attention is the jointer..
Go ahead and split hair, and say you respect whatever you want.

I fear a good number of machines and my dictionary says: Fear, be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening.

Top on the list is of course the most oft-used tool: the 220V tablesaw. I respect its functions, but I fear its cutting off my fingers.

After close to 40 years of using a tablesaw, I still fear it. I fear it and am most cautious with it whenever it is turned on.

Fear is a good word just as good as any others and I am not shy about using it when I talk about my shop machines.

Simon
I am most careful with my table saw. I am reckless with the bisquit joiner. If i get hurt in the shop i just know it's gonna be that bisquit saw that gets me

Carl
(08-05-2017, 05:56 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Go ahead and split hair, and say you respect whatever you want.

I fear a good number of machines and my dictionary says: Fear, be afraid of (someone or something) as likely to be dangerous, painful, or threatening.

Top on the list is of course the most oft-used tool: the 220V tablesaw. I respect its functions, but I fear its cutting off my fingers.

After close to 40 years of using a tablesaw, I still fear it. I fear it and am most cautious  with it whenever it is turned on.

Fear is a good word just as good as any others and I am not shy about using it when I talk about my shop machines.

Simon

That is the EXACT attitude that gets you hurt 

I have no fear of my table saw after  as long as you but in a professional setting for 30 yrs of 40 

that likely makes my time in use about 10 times your 40 yrs 

Oh and I still count to ten on the fingers given me 

There is not a machine in any shop that deserves fear they are machines and machines can be mastered 

Fear is not the way to mastery

(08-05-2017, 06:18 PM)JGrout Wrote: That is the EXACT attitude that gets you hurt 

I have no fear of my table saw after  as long as you but in a professional setting for 30 yrs of 40 

that likely makes my time in use about 10 times your 40 yrs 

Oh and I still count to ten on the fingers given me 

There is not a machine in any shop that deserves fear they are machines and machines can be mastered 

Fear is not the way to mastery

Of course, you can have no fear of any tools in your shop. Your shop, your rules, right? In my shop, I am the king and fear is what has kept me safe all these years.

I remember a wise employer once telling me 40 years of experience could only mean 1 year of experience repeated 40 times. I don't know what to make of your claim that your time in use was about 10 times my 40 years, as we know nothing about each other's shop or work. But I do know one thing that we have in common: I have ten fingers, too, and  all these some 40 years I fear many of my machines.

I don't know if fear or respect is the way to mastery, but I do know neither of them alone will bring mastery in any craft.

Respect your machines as much and often as you like; I will continue to feel fearful when that spinning blade stares at me with no mercy...

Simon