Rare Earth Magnets in Plane Rack
  Re: Rare Earth Magnets in Plane Rack by jcredding (I need to build a pl...)
Thanks all. Hanging is probably an even easier solution...really should have thought of that before.
A while back I saw a plane till with rope loops holding on to the the front knobs. That would work for quakes. I'd prefer not to drill hang holes in my planes.
Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
No Evaporust was used on these tools.
Too funny - I was thinking the reference was to drilling in the till and hanging, not drilling the planes. I don't think I could do that . . . and certainly not to that lovely 5C recently acquired from Admiral!
You might be thinking of mine Admiral.

photo 35395A1B-BAF1-4C69-8A08-831FF3964864-4839-00000D5608A815DE.jpg

Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
(08-08-2017, 11:14 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Meh.  Making the body of the plane ever so slightly magnetic will have even less effect on the blade.

You can magnetize steel by striking it.  

I wouldn't loose any sleep over the tiny bit of magnetization that could occur from using a magnet to hold onto the toe of the plane.  I'm not sharpening the sole of the plane.

Making some kind of little twist-toggles to slip over the plane toe instead of embedding magnets is a viable alternative.

If residual magnetism becomes a real problem and the OP feels like spending some money, get a de-gausing plate that runs off AC line voltage.  Not the little rinky-dink ones you use on screwdrivers.  A proper one like a machine shop would have.
"A proper one like a machine shop would have."

That's the kind I have...about the size of a cigar box and operates on 120v.it comes in very handy..Easy to make a magnetizer/demagnetizer out of a coil of wire and a 12v battery.
"By God, we are First Marines, and all the communist bastards in the world cannot stop us from going where we intend to go"
Col. Chesty Puller USMC  At the  Chosin Reservoir North Korea 1950, "The Forgotten War"

Jack Edgar, Sgt. USMC Korea 51/52

You could hang them with boot laces. Mine are on an incline.

Attached Files Image(s)

"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Close up.

Attached Files Image(s)

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
One more.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-08-2017, 03:31 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Confused Confused Confused Confused   How can wood be magnetized?

Rare earth magnets set into drilled pockets, holding the planes, might magnetize the metal parts. 

I think it's all hokum. I sharpen on steel plates. There are any number of sharpening media that could magnetize blades. John was smart to cut and run (abandon the magnet idea) before the thread devolved.

Hey, I think the water makes swarf stick to the cutters. It's magnetic too...... Anyone draw pictures with iron filings while sharpening?
Bruce
Yup Jim, that is the concept.
Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
No Evaporust was used on these tools.