Rare Earth Magnets in Plane Rack
I need to build a plane rack and want to put some rare earth magnets on the back to help hold - may help in small earthquake here in SoCal. Anyone have an idea on the diameter of magnet to use - going to embed in 1/2" plywood. Was thinking of either 1/2" or 3/4" diameter, but haven't worked with them before.

Thanks,
John
(08-07-2017, 07:45 PM)jcredding Wrote: I need to build a plane rack and want to put some rare earth magnets on the back to help hold - may help in small earthquake here in SoCal.  Anyone have an idea on the diameter of magnet to use - going to embed in 1/2" plywood.  Was thinking of either 1/2" or 3/4" diameter, but haven't worked with them before.

Thanks,
John

The 3/4"X1/4" magnets should be plenty strong enough. Or you could set two smaller ones in the back for each plane, instead of one large magnet. I think that would be my choice.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Just be aware that any tools you have in contact with magnets will also become weaker magnets themselves.  I personally would find this objectionable, but you may not.
Indeed, and worse yet if the blades become magnetized the swarf generated from sharpening will stick to them.
              -Howard
(08-08-2017, 07:22 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,
The 3/4"X1/4" magnets should be plenty strong enough.  Or you could set two smaller ones in the back for each plane, instead of one large magnet. I think that would be my choice.

Keep an eye on polarity...

A friend once was working on a nifty little hinged lid box.  Wanted to use little magnets to hold the lid closed.  Very careful marking and measuring and drilling to line up the holes. Deftly applied epoxy. Waited.

Magnet poles were opposing.  Hilarity ensued.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-08-2017, 09:40 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Indeed, and worse yet if the blades become magnetized the swarf generated from sharpening will stick to them.
              -Howard

Meh.  Making the body of the plane ever so slightly magnetic will have even less effect on the blade.

You can magnetize steel by striking it.  

I wouldn't loose any sleep over the tiny bit of magnetization that could occur from using a magnet to hold onto the toe of the plane.  I'm not sharpening the sole of the plane.

Making some kind of little twist-toggles to slip over the plane toe instead of embedding magnets is a viable alternative.

If residual magnetism becomes a real problem and the OP feels like spending some money, get a de-gausing plate that runs off AC line voltage.  Not the little rinky-dink ones you use on screwdrivers.  A proper one like a machine shop would have.
........or just do what our forefathers did:  drill hang holes.
Uhoh
You could anticipate Rob's jumping lids, the Big One, or not-so-small one.... Or, just lanyard them in and hang em' high.

Edit... Like minds, here. In the peanut gallery.
(08-08-2017, 09:40 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Indeed, and worse yet if the blades become magnetized the swarf generated from sharpening will stick to them.
              -Howard

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused   How can wood be magnetized?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-08-2017, 10:20 AM)Mike Brady Wrote: ........or just do what our forefathers did:  drill hang holes.
Uhoh

Perfect solution.