Rare Earth Magnets in Plane Rack
Hey, you guys are my friends (I hope!), but when I see those planes hanging from cords I get a little queasy.
Eek   That's like steering your car with your knees while while reaching for a cool one....might not have a happy ending.  It's like hand tool bungee jumping.  Clifford has seen TLN drop a plane casting on the concrete floor and it just hurts the floor.  Those Stanleys...not so much.  So from now on, use the following disclaimer when you post hanging plane pictures:  Warning! Content may be disturbing to some viewers.  We now return you to our scheduled programming.
Well, you could have your "standard" tilting till, with the ropes just for the quake issue.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My plan is to have the plane resting in the till but have a cord as backup in case of a little shaking.  Have to consider the shakes when living in SoCal.
I like my planes on their side on a shelf with handle facing me. Shelf needs less depth than a tilt type cabinet and I get a lot of planes in a smaller space. Smaller space needs less reaching.

Like this one: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/swee...4OQ==/?ref=
Look in the background....

til tilts back at about..20 degrees, or so....along the bottom edge, there is a molding strip....the heels of the planes like to sit between the surface of the til, and that molding.  No magnets needed...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
All this earthquake stuff reminds me. ...

I watched one in the Kent valley of WA. It's a soft soil flood plain so the shock wave looked just like an ocean roller approaching. A foot or so vertical change. Signs and poles whipped as it passed through. This one followed the initial hit by several seconds. Close to a 6. Brains are not designed to accept such strange visual action on land. It's nothing to watch water do the same wave thing. 

Sent everything on my shelves at work to the floor. Even with those rope hangers, don't be surprised to find one or two planes on the floor. Everything else will simply jump off shelves.

That's my digression.
(08-10-2017, 12:07 AM)hbmcc Wrote: All this earthquake stuff reminds me. ...

I watched one in the Kent valley of WA. It's a soft soil flood plain so the shock wave looked just like an ocean roller approaching. A foot or so vertical change. Signs and poles whipped as it passed through. This one followed the initial hit by several seconds. Close to a 6. Brains are not designed to accept such strange visual action on land. It's nothing to watch water do the same wave thing. 

Sent everything on my shelves at work to the floor. Even with those rope hangers, don't be surprised to find one or two planes on the floor. Everything else will simply jump off shelves.

That's my digression.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
[Image: 1240539.large.jpg]

You guys are trying to hard....
(08-08-2017, 08:16 PM)Admiral Wrote: A while back I saw a plane till with rope loops holding on to the the front knobs. That would work for quakes. I'd prefer not to drill hang holes in my planes.

I like what Admiral said

It would even work better if you gave it a few turns which will tighten up the string so it does not pop off of the knob.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Forget the magnets and boot laces, boot laces will break over time and send your planes crashing to the floor, try either double face tape or Velcro.

Another way is the tilted plane rack or flat in the tool cabinet.

Just kidding about the tape and Velcro. I'm sure someone will try it!!