2 new pieces
Apologies in advance for the typical crappy pictures
[Image: 192_zps4vz2aung.jpg]

[Image: 191_zpsbi0fug9j.jpg]

Comments and critiques always welcome
All I can Say,Angus,is you sure have natural talent for segmenting.Your pieces fit nice and tight and I love the finish.Beautiful work,sir.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Great stuff.
very nice indeed
Cool
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
On the feature ring on the first one was the wood cut in 1/4" thickness and then glued to each other?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-08-2017, 01:52 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: On the feature ring on the first one was the wood cut in 1/4" thickness and then glued to each other?

Yes but only kind of
Raised In the feature rings all the pieces are gut a hair thicker than 1/4".  Then glue the them end to end, so the first turning would have 3 pieces that would stack vertically to make the segment.  I flatten one side on all segments on the belt sander. For the center piece I hot glue them onto a shooting board and bring them down to a final thickness in my wide belt sander. I do the same with the top and bottom but only until they are flat. Then I glue them together. Cut the angles and make the ring. Run the ring through the sander on one side. When that side matches the thickness of the center band, I glue it onto the turning. This will leave the top band which at this point will be thicker than the rest. I turn that band close to the thickness of the lower two and use a sanding board with the lathe running to get final thickness and a dead flat gluing surface.

If you don't leave room for sanding on the top and bottom surfaces of the feature ring it gets real easy to end up with different thicknesses and it's real noticeable when that happens.
I have a ton to learn on making feature rings.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Great segmenting work! Could you please tell us the species that you used for these works of art?
My guess is Mahogany for the first main body and Cherry for the second not sure on the yellow and orange wood.

Bruce
One looks like Yellow Heart and Black Walnut, Mahogany, Cherry, and Bubinga or Padauk and I do not know the others.

(08-09-2017, 04:49 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Great segmenting work! Could you please tell us the species that you used for these works of art?
My guess is Mahogany for the first main body and Cherry for the second not sure on the yellow and orange wood.

Bruce

Wellllllll.....I was cleaning out my wood stash and found just enough wood for the body of the top piece.  I'm guessing it's either gancolo alves or jatoba. The other woods are yellowheart and bloodwood. the second piece is a cherry body, purpleheart, yellowheart and bloodwood