Moulding Planes: A Beginner's Guide (article)
Matt Bickford 's book "Mouldings in Practice" should be required reading and will answer a multitude of questions and provide many answers.
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green

What works for stuck wedges and frozen nuts on a plow plane is to put the plane in the refrigerator. It will take a week or 3 but it will dry the wood, shrink it, and allow the stuck parts to be removed. Some put the plane in the freezer, that should work also, but I haven't tried that. 
Good luck!
(08-11-2017, 01:57 PM)JQuacker Wrote: Have I got a plane to send to you. I've tried everything. EVERYTHING.

It's glued in place. Try solvent, if the freezer doesn't break the bond.
(08-11-2017, 01:57 PM)JQuacker Wrote: Have I got a plane to send to you. I've tried everything. EVERYTHING.

Happy to give it a try.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-11-2017, 09:00 PM)John Walkowiak Wrote: What works for stuck wedges and frozen nuts on a plow plane is to put the plane in the refrigerator. It will take a week or 3 but it will dry the wood, shrink it, and allow the stuck parts to be removed. Some put the plane in the freezer, that should work also, but I haven't tried that. 
Good luck!

Freezer trick worked for me once. Eventually gave up on that plane due to body warp. Warped before the freeze, was hoping the wedge was causing the warp. It wasn't.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(08-11-2017, 01:27 PM)JQuacker Wrote: Skip, I wouldn't feel right trying to put anything down for "advanced issues". Don't have that kind of experience, and as you say, it can become religious for some. I'll have to look at Dillinger's book.

And as my post count suggests, I'm not a long-time member, so names currently mean little to me. Thanks for letting me know that Dave's thumbs-up is a hearty one!

(And not sure how people respond to the name "Paul Sellers" here, but his moulding plane video he uses a crosspeen under the finial to remove a wedge after smacking the plane with the metal hammer....so yeah. That happened.)

Hi Jordan;

Well keep on writing the beginner's articles, we all started the same place - from nowhere... you can expand what you wrote into other types of woodies, and you will be amazed how many of us have/use woodies of all kinds.  And then there are the guys who make their own woodies... just a suggestion.

You can look at the post count and the year started of a reply and tell who is a regular here........ in Dave's case he has a buncha threads he's written that tell the tale... Hey Dave, how're you doin???

Just mentioning Paul Sellers here can get one of those pro/con discussions going... I am amazed it hasn't happened yet.  Those who have taken his classes are the most vocal...

Plenty of discussion here about the pros and cons of metal hammers on woodies... enjoy...
Skip

Hey Skip, I'm doing well. Got involved with trying to teach young guys the beauty ( and fun) in using hand tools, so I've been really busy with that. Still chasing rust although I have slowed down considerably. My apologies to the OP for going off tangent. Getting back on track, what other topics do you have planned?
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(08-13-2017, 04:30 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: Hey Skip, I'm doing well. Got involved with trying to teach young guys the beauty ( and fun) in using hand tools, so I've been really busy with that. Still chasing rust although I have slowed down considerably. My apologies to the OP for going off tangent. Getting back on track, what other topics do you have planned?
Thanks Dave;

Yes Jordan - what other topics are you gonna write about????
Skip

Next up and dropping tomorrow, an interview with a traditional sash joiner.

If you look back on my other posts on the site, there's not always "how-to" but more thought pieces. The internet is full of "how to" on so many things. You'll never see a sharpening post from me unless it's specific to moulding planes. I'm trying to give a bit of what I'm seeing less of.
Thanks Jordan;
Be sure to drop us a link to the new post here.....
Skip