If I ever get a new Table Saw it will be like the ones
I too have operated sliders pretty extensively for several years only stopped when I started off on my own 

It  was a Felder 10' slider  (forget the model now) and the only thing we ever had for ripping was a simple angled wedge block at the leading end of the slider  It never moved ( no need) and the operation was quick and painless for straight line rips on long or short stock. 

Yes you needed to adjust some work habits to use it this way but it proved very efficient and safe. 

As for ripping stock against the fence again a minor adjustment to position and you were not going to find a safer setup.

We also did not dado on this saw, the job was relegated to a dedicated unisaw. even without two saws that operation can be accomplished elsewhere far faster and cheaper than a dedicated dado set from Felder 

if it were my only saw I would be plenty happy to use it and operate it  daily for just solid stock. 

JMO/E
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Well now thinking of what you guys do and how hard it would be for me to cut sheet stock this is what I came up with.

A panel saw which will cut up and down or side to side will break everything down very nicely and will go up against a wall to save space as well. 

I do not know if it would rip a board very well or not but this can be discussed here.
Then have two table saws with one always set up with a dado blade and the other one for everything else and making sleds for other uses for it.

What do you guys say?

O and the other table saw can be a cheaper one I am thinking since a sled can work as well on it also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Arlin, here is what I have. I have a cabinet saw with several sleds and another cabinet saw with a stacked dado. I have the two saws set up as a little island in the middle of my shop. I made a pretty fancy crosscut sled that works as well as a slider for crosscutting all but the widest panels. I used to have another sled that used my miter slot for straight line ripping boards up to about 6' long. I gave that away when I moved. I could do the same thing again but I would need to use my fence as a guide instead of my miter slot because I have my saws back to back. I could also make the same jig for my bandsaw. I haven't made one because it is faster to snap a chalk line and cut it on my bandsaw and then run it over the jointer. The sled worked well but took time to set up. The two big drawbacks I see are unless you buy a small slider they have a huge footprint. The other is cost. I good Euro slider is going to start at around $10k. You could probably pick up a nice used one for around $5k. There are smaller sliders that are around $5k but if you are buying the saw for sheet goods you should really get a large one. Look at it this way. For the cost of a new Felder sliding tablesaw you could buy two cabinet saws, a bandsaw, a jointer, a planer and a Festool track saw. When you look at it that way a slider isn't quite so appealing.
Arlin bring a truck to bloomington il and i will give you a vertical panelsaw. Old school wooden milwaukee with 220v 8" saw.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote:There are smaller sliders that are around $5k but if you are buying the saw for sheet goods you should really get a large one. Look at it this way. For the cost of a new Felder sliding tablesaw you could buy two cabinet saws, a bandsaw, a jointer, a planer and a Festool track saw. When you look at it that way a slider isn't quite so appealing.

David, that's like saying 'don't buy a BMW - you can get 3 Toyotas for the same price'
Laugh

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek,actually it is more like saying you can buy one BMW or a Toyota for each of the people of driving age in the household. When budget is a concern as I'm guessing it is with Arlin and know it is with myself buying one machine vs buying half the machines to equip a whole shop for the same money is a pretty big difference. Now if money is no oblect by all means have a shop full of Felder machines.
(08-16-2017, 07:02 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Derek, actually it is more like saying you can buy one BMW or a Toyota for each of the people of driving age in the household.  When budget is a concern as I'm guessing it is with Arlin and know it is with myself buying one machine vs buying half the machines to equip a whole shop for the same money is a pretty big difference. Now if money is no object by all means have a shop full of Felder machines.

You gave a good example and I knew what you meant.  Even if I was filthy rich I would not pay top dollar for anything but something that works for what I need.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
How did you keep your A3-31 fence square mine won't hold a setting for poop, I always have to check it for square I'm about ready to build my own fence. Also did you have to level your tables when you got it mine still seem a little out, I still have to finish checking their coplanar.
What do you mean by square? Parallel to the table? 

I never look at parallel. A little out-of-parallel is unimportant. What is relevant is that the face of the fence is vertical. Do you mean vertical?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I own a minimax cu350 w/ a 5.5' slider. it's a safer way to work for me and accurate (holds settings very! well, but was a real bugger to tune in.) I prefer the ability and use, but I also have both a nice bandsaw where I rip lumber and a nice round arm 1030k DeWalt which I use for crosscutting (may be selling that off though and using BS exclusively.)

I would not be without a slider now, haven't had the Jessem on my Powermatic for several years before i acquired the minimax. The ease with which you can work on panels and flat work is without equal in my opinion.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem